Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

Leedy Student Model (?) Snare Drum

I'm considering purchasing a snare drum which has been described as a Leedy late 50s Student Model. It features 8 lugs, rim clips, a 3-point strainer and the Leedy Chicago Oval Badge without the zip code.

I've done some research on this particular model but haven't found one featuring Slingerland streamlined lugs (which this one has) in lieu of Leedy lugs. I also thought that the so-called "student" models normally featured six lugs in lieu of eight. Despite this fact, the current owner claims that everything (including the WMP wrap) is original to the drum.

I'd like to get some input from "the experts" out there regarding this particular drum. Specifically:

1.) Have any of you purchased and/or played a so-called Leedy Student Model from this era?

2.) If your answer to #1 above is yes, could you please let me know your opinion of its performance?

3.) Have any of you ever seen a Leedy Student Model snare drum from this era with eight lugs in lieu of six?

4.) Have any of you ever seen this model with Slingerland streamlined lugs in lieu of Leedys?

5.) Anyone have any idea what might be considered "fair market value" for this one in today's market?

I apologize for not posting any pictures. However, the computer's been acting up and isn't allowing me to do so at this time. I do have a few, should you need to see them to submit your comments. Feel free to provide an email address and I'll get them out to you directly.

As usual, thanks for your time and your help!

Posted on 14 years ago

1. 8 lugs with clip rims is not that rare for Leedy of this era.

It should be a 3 ply mahogany interior shell. These can sound great! I use a similar drum all the time.

2. Never saw one with Slingerland lugs, but when Slingerland first acquired the Leedy name in around 1955, there was a lot of parts swapping until things became uniform. I have seen that era drum in that model with Ludwig Imperial lugs...

Depending on finish and condition, the drum could be worth 125-300...

Posted on 14 years ago

RICH K:

THANKS for the feedback. I certainly appreciate it. If you get a minute, could you please see the PM I just forwarded? Thanks.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here