Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Leedy Snare...but which one?

Hello fellow Drumsters,

I'm in possesion of a lovely Leedy Snare, 14"x8" trouble is I cannot date it. Closest I have is 40's. I think it's a Marine Pearl Pyralin Wrap but the strainer is throwing me (no pun intended). It looks to me like a Ludwig 339 strainer which was used 1939-50, but the badge is from 1930-48. It has a date stamp stamped on the inside of the shell - 4607, but I don't know how to de-code that (july 1946???).

Any info would be appriciated.

May your calf-heads never go limp...!

Best

Paul

Posted on 15 years ago

Welcome....pictures would be very helpful.

Posted on 15 years ago

You've got the decoder ring - July 1946 is the correct date. The throw could be a replacement - as suggested a picture is the best way to sort it out; also look for any extra holes where the strainer and butt are.

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks chaps, I'll try and post some pics but I am a computer illiterate!!

As far as I can see there are no extra holes. The top rim is a replacement and the Damper is missing otherwise I see nothing 'strange'.

Nope, won't let me upload jpg files. Any suggestions?

Posted on 15 years ago

Set your digital camera to the lowest resolution.

Then you can upload photos.

David

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks to David I can show you a photo.Thanks David

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

That appears to be a Leedy Broadway model. Here is a 1950 catalog shot with that model.

[IMG]http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/leedy_snare_drums/1950-leedy_snaredrums1.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 15 years ago

From Paul 'Chumpy' Knowles

Thanks to David I can show you a photo.Thanks David

That's a great drum! Does it have extended snare wires? If not, I'd urge you to install them.

My drum is an early 50s Leedy & Ludwig... essentially the same design, but a 5.5x14. It came to me with a set of gut snares... nice for the symphony, but not right for my style. I replaced them with a Pearl extended set.

2 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

From royal ace

That's a great drum! Does it have extended snare wires? If not, I'd urge you to install them.My drum is an early 50s Leedy & Ludwig... essentially the same design, but a 5.5x14. It came to me with a set of gut snares... nice for the symphony, but not right for my style. I replaced them with a Pearl extended set.

No it doese'nt but i might try them. Ta for the tip.

Chumpy

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here