Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Leedy Ludwig Drum What year what to do?

We have a Leedy & Ludwig Snare Drum from my mom. She played it in the marching band in 1953. All the paint has came off and the snares are rusty. Can it be painted and can you buy those snares now??? And of course is it of any value???

3 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

Someone HELP me here PLEASE Help

Posted on 17 years ago

Not much value the way it is and probably a lot of work to restore it.

It can be done and yes it can be repainted and the snares can be replaced.

There are people in the business that can do the job and make it look like new!

It just takes money and time.

For the sentimental value it might be worth it.

Even after the restoration it will have more sentimental value.

You can visit the links at the top if you plan on cleaning it your self.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

So I gather you are telling me its not worth much at all?

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

So I gather you are telling me its not worth much at all?

Unfortunately, no. They are not of high value when they are pristine. Once it is refinished, it will mostly be sentimental value.

Posted on 17 years ago

Also, the parts are worth more off of the drum then on the drum. The badge is hard to find and in many cases people will take old marching drums in poor condition for the parts.

I say fix it up and keep it..

David

Posted on 17 years ago

I agree.If you want to sell it,take what you can get.Parting it out can bring a little more.If you want to keep it to remember dear ol mum,i,d say clean it up, shelve it,and pass it on to your kids.People aren,t doing enough of that these days i,ve noticed.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 17 years ago

keeping it we will be doing and my son has already put new heads on it but it looks awful sounds good. Cant believe it is worthless. thought we had something the guys in the music store sure thought so too. I have alot to learn. can it be wrqapped instead of painted? or will that just ruin it more as far as value? and where can I get new snares and new hardware??

Posted on 17 years ago

It is not worthless for sure. I would gather $100 - $150 for the parts.

You should be able to clean it up without buying parts. If you buy parts then you will be investing more into a drum then you should.

You can get the new snare wires from any music store. You do not need the gut wires for that strainer. Just set it up with regular wires and the string that comes with them. (from what I can see)

Also, find a local furniture guy and or someone that can strip the paint and prepare the shell for new paint. Then find an auto shop and see if they can spray the drum back to white.

Clean up the hardware with the suggestions on the site and the drum will be ready for years of enjoyment

David

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here