Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Leedy Fiesta Kit is Here

Well the big day has finally come for me. Today I received my Leedy Fiesta Pearl drumset and all I can say is BEAUTIFUL!

It is really hard to believe, the wrap looks so beautiful under White Christmas tree lights - it is like walking out in the woods in the middle of a moonlit winter night with all the stars out twinkling and reflecting off the snow. Lots of beautiful shapes and colorful gold stars, moons, green, pink.

The only thing is that the white has yellowed a fair amount, but that has its own beauty too.

It is stunning and it sounds all the better, at least the toms & the snare. I need to put a different batter head on the bass.

The date stamp on the bass drum is Dec 10, 1958 as best I can tell - it seems pretty clear. The 13" is Oct 8, 1958, the snare only shows Dec 9, and the 16" is Oct 14 with the year too smudged.

(The drums look to be in very good condition for their age (almost 50!). I should look so good at 50.)

All the badges are Blue & Brass Chicago ILL. U.S.A. (no 48).

I wonder what anyone else thinks, but this is a very good day. Are there any other pictures that I could put up for identification or dating or just viewing, this is very cool?

Posted on 17 years ago

I'm speechless - Beautiful drums. Congrats and please, play them out so others can appreciate them.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 17 years ago

Thank you bigdaddy, it will take some time to get use to these beauties! I would have to watch them like a hawk. I found something else in the packaging that is very interesting - vintage color swatches with large 8" X 8" tiles of several finishes, including fiesta, pink pearl, black sparkle and other colors.

Posted on 17 years ago

Fantastic kit! electricit

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

I would have to watch them like a hawk.

Of course - Maybe just take them to the really special gigs. Or at least the "safest" gigs - No moshing near the Leedy's PLEASE!!!!

Posted on 17 years ago

This is the other set that I am getting, it too is Leedy/Slingerland from late 50's or early 60's. I don't have any information on the date but from these pictures can you tell anything that could date this kit? Is there any interest in the Leedy Mardi Gras sets like there is in the Rogers kits? The set is a 22-14-13 with the Shelley Manne matching snare.

Posted on 17 years ago

Where are you shopping?? Do you have a Fiesta / Mardi Gras Grocery store near by?

I have one near me and it is just produce and meat..

Hey, I'm intrigued by the swatch set. I have never seen a giant size set of swatches...

It looks like they could wrap a drum they are so large...:)

It would be great if I could get hi res scans of each finish for the web site.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

David,

I think they are large pieces of wrap. It is like having a sample of these finishes in a close to pristine condition. You can see what the wrap looked like originally - to a degree. The very cool thing is that one of the samples is Fiesta, and there is enough material to do a hoop with it (which I need) - but I don't think I am going to do that. Not at this time at least. I will just leave it alone. I can do the high resolution pictures and send them via email, it might take a day or 2 but I will send over the shots if you want them. There are about 30 samples, so each picture is about 800Kb= 24MB of photo files coming into your email, if that is okay, let me know.

Oh on the 2 kits, I started this whole odessy looking for a Rogers Mardi Gras kit, and look where it took me! Strange, but true, and fun too! Even though it is a little painful on the pocket book, it is worth it to me - I still haven't got a Rogers Mardi Gras, but that is the last piece of the puzzle that I can keep looking for, and that is more than half the fun.

Thanks MIke

Posted on 17 years ago

Wow!! I guess you are now the official Mardi Gras King!!

Congrats on some amazing kits.

Just curious about those Leedy shells. They look like mahogany with maple reinforcement rings. Am I even close?

I obviously have great taste in drums because I still prefer mahogany over the other materials :)

Posted on 17 years ago

Big Daddy:

Leedy drums are all mahogany im not sure about the maple reinforcement hoops though because I have late 20s early 30s that seems to have mahogany reinforcement hoops.

Mike

Beautiful kit!

Did you have to pull a bank heist to get the cash for those?

Laughing H

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here