Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Leedy Elkhart 1948 Restoration

Hi all,

Have been away for awhile...hope all are well..

Just aquired this completely original (except heads) Leedy 5.5X14 WMP snare date stamped 1948. Does anyone know the model?

I plan on starting the resto today. It has all NOB hardware. It could be a real looker when finished. I may have paid too much? $285.? Could not help but notice that the "new" Leedy produces the Broadway model in WMP. I prefer the vintage version to the new though because it has all that history and character attached to it. The new Leedy's seem to carry a much heftier price tag than the true vintage models. Why is that?

But still, a real classic and it will be a pleasure to bring her new life!

-kellyj

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 14 years ago

Score, Kelly !!

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for affirming what I already feel about this drum all vintage equipment.

When I find a drum like this, I try to imagine where it was sold, the era, with it's style of music, big band swing, early jazz, rag-time... the older tunes being played on it, the dress of the day, the band sans electric guitars- saxes and trombones bellowing to its cadence, more brass than strings. A young couple fresh from war dancing to its swing! This is the worth of the drum...the fantasy of imagining where it lived. Maybe it belonged to a music student who never played in a band and the drum held the mystery of music for that young person?

As I polish the lugs, rims and clean up the wrap a little, I think of these things and smile...

-kellyj

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks Vintagemore.

There's much more to a vintage drum than the sum of its parts. Will keep you posted with picks of the resto as it progresses.

-kellyj

Posted on 14 years ago

That thing's going to be friggin' gorgeous. I think those old Leedys are some of the most handsome drums ever. The art deco look of the lugs is just so elegant.

Posted on 14 years ago

Yes, There is a beauty to the Leedy Lugs. Art Deco style, clean, pure!

Could you guys help me out on the history a bit. Did George Way design the lugs and strainer for the Broadway?

-kellyj

Posted on 14 years ago

Wow! Awesome!

Did you do the restoration work on these?

How did you get the nickel so nicley polished?

-kellyj

Posted on 14 years ago

Nice easy work for you!

As you can see the nickel finish on mine is quite tarnished. I normally use Brasso to clean up metal but you suggest simichrome?

-kellyj

Posted on 14 years ago

This drum is fascinating! I don't think it has ever been apart. Here are some pics of the metal parts. Note in particular the thin metal straps that bridge the snares to the strainer and butt plate. I have never seen one before. I assume its original Leedy? Perhaps a George Way design?? Vintagemore. Did your Leedy snares come with these metal straps?

Note as well the re-rings and bearing edges are almost imaculate.

-kellyj

3 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

From vintagemore2000

Kelly, first off your conn era leedy is 100% better than that new crap that they dare call leedy! the reason it cost more is because it's New!! this new junk, doesn't sound one bit like what you just bought, and the new junk has only the name in common with your leedy snare drum!! Prejudice, you bet I am!! Your Vintage Leedy has a real history to it, congratulations, and that's the price a Real Broadway is going for!!!

Whoa! Hold on there pardner! While I will agree with you that nothing sounds quite like a vintage Leedy Broadway, I wouldn't go so far as to call the new Leedy USA made products junk! I own a couple, and while, no, they aren't vintage and don't sound quite like the original Leedy drums, they do have a good sound to them and the build quality is as good as any vintage made Leedy. Fred Gretsch is involved with the product and they have to live up to the Gretsch standard too. So before you start arbitrarily trashing the new Leedy drums, maybe you should try one out!

BTW, there are two Leedy brands available worldwide. In Europe, they are Taiwaan made Leedy badged crap. In the USA they are pretty much custom made continuation editions of the old Leedy in most cases. Others made by Leedy USA are modern interpretations, both USA types sound good to my ears. I will give you that the Leedy that Europe is stuck with is crap, but the USA made Leedy is good quality stuff.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here