Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Leedy & Ludwig snare question

Hello Folks! HAPPY 2006 as we ALL get more VINTAGE...haha!!?? Curious to know more about this snare...details and value. THANKS!

Posted on 18 years ago

Yes, we do get more vintage!

This nice snare drum looks to me like a Leedy/Ludwig "New Era Snare Drum." (1955 Catalog)

It was a 4 1/2" x 14" drum in WMP. Of course the badge was for a short time period in the 50's making the drum rarer then other Leedy drums. (I have no knowledge of quality at that time period)

With that said I'm technically not up on how many years the drum was made, when it was in production and or when it was first badged as a Leedy/Ludwig. (the 51 catalog does say "This new shell size")

I have a copy of the 1951 catalog with a price list and in that catalog it is called the Broadway "New Era" Floating Head Drum.

"Used and endorsed by the famous Jack Sperling formerly with Tex Beneke's Orchestra.

The lugs are sometimes referred to as the "Art Deco" style.

Original price was $62.50.

This is not my cup of tea in regards to value and it all really depends on how much someone wants it at the moment.

So I will give a wide range and hope my forum bretheran can get to a closer amount.

Now, this is also based on the one picture without seeing the strainer and getting a better understanding of condition.

$250 - $450

David

Webmaster

[IMG]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/images/forum_images/leedy1_flyer_th.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 18 years ago

THANKS SO MUCH for the info., David! Seems that Leedy and Ludwig time frame is a bit hard to zone in on. GREAT INFO on the drum....WOW..COOL to see it in the catalogue and notes by Jack Sperling! Looking forward to more scoop....TOO COOL!

drumski

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here