Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Leedy & Ludwig logo

Hi, I just aquired a 1951 Leedy & Ludwig drum set. The kit is in pristine shape, but lacks a front head.

One of my favorite things to "restore" on a vintage kit (and also one of my last steps) is to hand paint a vintage style shield monogramed with my initials, and to add the appropriate company decal. (I have had good luck freehanding the Ludwig '60's script logo tough.)

So my question is , what is the appropriate style logo to use on my kit?

Hide hitters has a very nice logo on this 40's Leedy drum ( http://home.hetnet.nl/~hidehitters/drums/1949leedy/1949goldsparkle.html ).

And Leedy themselves have 2 differnt type of logos on their website ( http://www.leedydrum.com/ ) One is a sript logo and another is a circle logo, which can bee seen on the picture of the bass drum.

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 17 years ago

Sorry I can't answer your question but I would like to add to it. I would like to know what logo was used (if any) on the front bass head of my mid 50's WFL set. A while back I saw a few different types of Ludwig logo's on e-bay but don't know which is which. Did WFL use the Ludwig name at all on their sets in the 50's? By the way, I'd love to see some pic's of your hand painted bass heads.

Thanks.

Posted on 16 years ago

wow, it was over 7 months ago I posted this...I almost forgot I did! ou can see pics of one of my logo's on my website, which is listed below (in my signature) once there click on "vintage restoration" then personal collection. That is a personally initialed shield I painted on my 1965 Slingerland kit. I am currently working on another, that might take a while for me to get a picture of, put keep checking back on my site, and it will be posted soon.

To TRY to help you with your question, as far as I know WFL never used just the Ludwig name, until the 60's when they ceased using the WFL name. Alos, since posting this I have found out that companies rarely if ever had their logo on the front bass drum head during the 50's. It seems like Ringo was one of the first to specifically ask for a logo on the front. Apparently he was so proud to be using an American Ludwig kit that he wanted everyone to know what company he was using. That of course in turn helped Ludwig out imensly, and soon othe brands began to follow suit and place their logo on the front head for everyone to see.

If I am wrong on any specifics I hope someone will correct me, but that is the story I have always heard.

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 16 years ago

Bill Ludwig was not legally able to use the Ludwig name until he bought it back from Conn in 1955. Ludwig had worked for Conn after they bought both the Leedy company and the Ludwig & Ludwig company around 1930 I believe. Ludwig did not like Conn at all and left to start his own company. He couldn't use the Ludwig name so he called his drums WFL. Conn sold off the drum lines after the Knob Tension failure. Ludwig bought his name and Slingerland bought the rest and made Leedy drums up until the mid 60s.

As far as logos, the pre 1950 Leedy logos would all be incorrect for a "Leedy & Ludwig" kit since Conn redesigned the logo for the merged line in 1950. Back in those days, front bass logos were virtually unheard of since the companies generally only had the smaller logo stamps they used on the calf heads after tucking. If anything was present on the head other than the stamp, it was generally painted with the band name and\or drummer's initials. Mylar heads came on the scene around 1958 and that changed the game a little bit.

Sorry for the rambling. I'm just an admirer of Leedy drums. In a very round-about way, the modern day DW drums can be traced back to the 1940s Leedys when George Way worked for Conn. Way designed the turret lug which is still in use by DW today.

Sitting here looking at my WMP Leedy & Ludwig 12\13\16\18\20 with matching Broadways in 4.5" and 6.5" now...

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here