Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Leedy & Ludwig I.d.

I recently picked up this re-wrapped Leedy & Ludwig snare drum. Although it was advertised as a "Shelly Manne" Model from the mid-50s, I've got my doubts since I'm not sure the Shelly Manne Model was offered prior to 1958. Also, every Shelly Manne Model that I've ever seen features the Leedy centered lugs in lieu of the Ludwig Imperial centered lugs found on this one. Although I did see the Imperial Lugs featured in a Leedy catalog from 1951, there was no mention of the Shelly Manne Model snare drum.

The drum's got the Leedy & Ludwig Elkhart, Indiana badge featured between 1950-1954, as well as the "perpendicular" internal muffler shown in the last pic, which seems correct for this time period and is featured in the Leedy & Ludwig catalog from 1953. The strainer and snare butt also seem to check out.

I did find this "note" in Harry Cangany's publication, "The Great American Drums And The Companies That Made Them, 1920-1969":

"Note: Leedy & Ludwig high-end drums used Leedy Beavertail lugs; low-end drums used Ludwig tube lugs and Imperial lugs."

Would this particular L&L snare be considered a "low-end" model, based on the Imperial lugs mounted on the shell or is it, indeed, a Shelly Manne?

As usual, thanks in advance for your help!

3 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

I think this is more closely associated to the Ludwig and Ludwig Deluxe Snare drum. The lugs, the strainer, and such line out that way. Take a look at the 50's model and see what you think.

Posted on 15 years ago

That is most certainly not a low-end drum. Although it is true that Ludwigs were considered more low end at this time, some Leedy & Ludwigs were simply built out with the imperial lugs instead of the Leedy lugs. The 3 point and extension bridges also point to a high end model. Most drums with the imperials did not have the extension bridges or the 3 point for that matter in this era of Leedy and Ludwig.

That is one beautiful snare and I bet it sound great too!

:::Ryan B
Posted on 15 years ago

BTW, it's not a Shelly Manne model. It wasn't called that until Slingerland took over the Leedy name a few years later.

:::Ryan B
Posted on 15 years ago

Mike: THANKS for the feedback. It sure does look close. However, the one I just bought has the Leedy & Ludwig Badge, not the Ludwig & Ludwig.

Perhaps this one's some sort of "hybrid" snare. It's my understand that in 1950, the C.G. Conn Company merged the Leedy Co. with Ludwig & Ludwig to form Leedy & Ludwig. Then, in 1951, George Way was put in charge to merge Conn's interests in Leedy and Ludwig & Ludwig to form Leedy & Ludwig. It sounds like the old Abbott and Costello (showing my age here!) "who's on first" act!

Posted on 15 years ago

blue-rippler:

THANKS for the input. Soooooooooooo, would the one I just purchased by considered a Leedy & Ludwig (based on the badge & other hardware) or a Ludwig & Ludwig? Also, any idea what Model it would be? THANKS AGAIN for your help!Bowing

Posted on 15 years ago

Great drum! Very rare. I had one last year that was blue sparkle, same solid shell, Imperial lugs, and extension throwoff. A Leedy & Ludwig expert told me that he had only seen 3 of these drums other than mine, and his theory was that they were made for endorsers. He also told me that the solid shells w/ rings were likely Ludwig & Ludwig left over shells from the 1930's or 40's. The one I had sounded absolutely beautiful, so warm and crisp. Wish I still had it.

You can see it here: http://www.classicvintagedrums.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=93&products_id=244

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here