Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Leedy & Ludwig help- ID, dating, model, value?

Howdy-

I am an elementary school music teacher and found some vintage snare drums in a closet at our school and hope you can help me identify them.

-Leedy & Ludwig

Drum Shell- wood?

Finish- white plastic?

Badge- see pics

Dimensions- 13 x 15

Interior Finish- natural

Hardware config.- not sure what to tell you-I hope the pictures help

Strainer type- will the picture be of help?

Any defects- just dirty

You can find more high rez pics here: http://homepage.mac.com/mystro2b/mystro2bphotos/PhotoAlbum9.html

many thanks for any insight you can provide!

-mystro2b

Posted on 17 years ago

Id be interested in buying this leedy because I am putting together a players kit. Email me at [email]bentstraw@gmail.com[/email] so we can talk about this at length.

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

Also it wouldnt be worth as much as a say white marine pearl snare drum would be and since its a marching snare drum, they are worth less. I have seen drums like these sell for 40-50 on ebay. I am very interested in this drum though.Excited

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

The Leedy & Ludwig is definitely worth more than $35 DOH

Posted on 17 years ago

I have seen shells go for that much on ebay. I got 2 leedy shells from the 30's (a 16x16 and a 9x13) for 33.50!

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

Yes, this is a marching snare drum. You have what some people call the art deco style (beavertail) drum lugs on a 1950's drum.

The drum being 15" would not make it as desirable as a 14" drum.

The were called the "National Parade Drums" model.

The market for 15" drums in general is not that great. Your drum is in great shape and in most cases marching drums are worth more as parts then the drum itself.

For me a complete drum in the shape yours is in should stay that way and I usually look for drums in poor shape to take the parts and use them.

Can you show us a better picture of the interior by the drum badge?

Also, are there any extra holes in the shells not evident in the photos?

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Can you show us a better picture of the interior by the drum badge? Also, are there any extra holes in the shells not evident in the photos? David

David-

Many, many thanks for the history and background and collecter's context of this drum. I will take some pictures of the interior as suggested- it's ok to take the rim off for some shots? (I'm a knuckle draggin' brass player, so I don't want to screw up anything...Help

And- If you have a chance to evaluate and comment on the history, background and collector's context of the Slingerland Radio King I have posted in my other thread, I'd be grateful.Excited

Many thanks for all you do to maintain this awesome forum.

-mystro2b

Posted on 17 years ago

Its fine to take the rim off for interior shots. Just loosen a tension rod and then loosen the one across from it so he comes off evenly.

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

Ok- Here are some interior shots of the Leedy & Ludwig snare:

http://homepage.mac.com/mystro2b/mystro2bphotos/PhotoAlbum11.html

Sorry I can't post them as attachments. They are pretty clear at the site.

Many thanks!

-mystro2b

Posted on 17 years ago

If you look on the interior across from the vent, there should be four numbers. This is the date that the drums were made. Sometimes this date has been cleaned off; other times it is very faint so it is worth looking closely. The date is given as YYMM: i.e. 5204 would be April of 1952.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here