Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Leedy & Ludwig Broadway Standard

We know that the two rival companies that Conn came to own shared parts and the best of each others world's for a couple of years, I think from 1950-1954. Some of you know of the "innovative knob tensioning system" that was a complete disaster...Trying to understand this little bit of history, I recently aquired a gorgeous Leedy & Ludwig snare date stamped 5105 about the time of the knob disaster. At least L&L didn't go whole hog into knob tensioning drums and still produced time proven snares like this L&L "Broadway Standard" which incorporated the fabulously crafted Leedy 3 ply, maple, mahogany,maple shell with maple re-rings. Basically a Leedy broadway snare with the Ludwig "Standard" strainer and with 16 handsome Leedy NOS lugs. The Leedy Broadway strainer was very similar to the Ludwig Standard strainer but they went with the standard on this one. Note the "L" stamped on the tension knob...

A very nice combination of craftsmanship indeed! I took the pictures of the shell to illustrate Leedy's attention to detail in fine shell making. There is not an unglued place or separated seam anywhere.

I welcome your comments on Leedy & Ludwig and this "underappreciated" company.

Cheers!

~kellyj

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 13 years ago

Nice drum! A few clarifications though.......the shell you have there is maple/poplar/maple with maple reinforcement rings. Most of the Conn era Leedy, Ludwig&Ludwig, and Leedy&Ludwig drums were of this shell configuration. Also, the strainer was a Leedy/George Way innovation that Conn fitted to the "higher end" Ludwig & Ludwig drums.....not the other way around. Conn had a tendency to preference Leedy over Ludwig. They actually considered Ludwig to be their entry level drums! When they merged the two divisions together, Leedy & Ludwig was more Leedy than Ludwig. This was pretty much a name and paper only merger as the two lines were being produced on the same production line in Elkhart for years. Ludwig & Ludwig drums may have said CHicago on them, but since the Conn purchase, they were produced in Elkhart, although the sales office stayed in Chicago for quite a few years after.

Anyway you look at it though, it is a nice piece of drum history you have there, and I hope the restoration project goes well! These drums deserve to be restored to their former glory. flower

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks for clarity Ludwig-dude. The knowledge on the forum is incredible!

I have a 1940 Ludwig & Ludwig "Standard" in NOB, eight Imperial lug,

6.5 X 14 snare (Exactly the same as the Silver Anniversay snare except with this updated strainer, and self-aligning lugs, see pic).

This George Way designed "Standard" strainer first appeared I believe, in 1940 with the one-piece "Broadway" strainer remaining on Leedy drums?

The two strainers are identical except for the standard's two-piece design.

Notice the "L" stamp on the tuning knob of the 1940 strainer (same "L" is stamped on the strainer from the Leedy & Ludwig snare of 1951). Does it stand for Leedy or Ludwig? A person would naturally assume the little "L" stamp is for Ludwig on a L&L drum would they not? I assume though the "L" stamp represents Leedy as it's a George Way design?

The confusing world of American vintage drums which only got more confusing when Slingerland bought Leedy in the late '50's. I know many of you have seen pics of my Chicago "Slingerleedy" snare with Leedy lugs, Slingerland hoops and Zoomatic strainer and Leedy Chicago blue badge. What fun!

Cheers!

-kellyj

Posted on 13 years ago

Vintagemore. Thanks for the info.

I thought you would have one by now??

All my vintage snares and kits are for sale. I have to pare down my collection to few snares and two kits that I play. Running out of room in the house so, if you're interested in my L&L Standard, let's talk.

-kellyj

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here