Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Leedy 28" BD hoops

Most of the photos I see of 30s and 40s Leedy BDs, especially with trap rails, the hoops are finished in natural wood. Is this how they came from the factory? Mine are in rough shape and the WMP inlay is missing. They are fully functional. Should I just refinish in natural rather than painting? What is the best option for replacing the WMP inlay? The WMP on the set has yellowed and I would want to try to match on the inlay.

Second issue: The wrap on the rack tom has multiple cracks, and the floor tom has a couple of small cracked areas. I have re-glued the wrap to prevent further cracking. I was going to try to fill the cracks with a little bit of drywall mud or spackle and then try to paint the cracks with some pearlized paint or nail polish. Do you think this will work to help hide the cracks? I also had to fill some holes from after market tom holder and rail. Will the same paint process work for the holes?

Thanks for the help. This is new territory for me.

Tim

Posted on 11 years ago

Tim, natural is factory for the bass drum hoops and can't be topped!!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks vintagemore2000. Natural it is.

Posted on 11 years ago

I sealed mine with Natural finish Tung Oil.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 11 years ago

Drywall mud or spackle will crack and fall out. It's not adhesive. Others may have suggestions on what might work. I just know that won't. I'd love to see some pics. I have a mid 40s Leedy 28" bass, but need snare, floor etc. Pics in gallery.

Mid 60's Rogers Pink Champagne Sparkle
late 50's Slingerland 5N kit being refinished
20's/30's Duplex kit
20's CONN kit
Vintage traps
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here