Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

leedy 1940's help needed

yeh i recently brought a leedy form the 1940s and it has the right badges and stuff, however i am a bit worried. the bass drum is painted on the inside however the other two toms are not is this normal? i always thought if one was painted then the rest of the kit normally is. also there is a stamp on the insie that says pearl 020 does this mean anyting too anyone?

the tom sizes are 28 by 14 bass 16 by 16 floor and 13 by 10 (i think ) middle tom. any idea on the value of this kit aswell?

any help would be amasing cheers al

and if photos are need i can send

Posted on 16 years ago

sorry i know i sound like a complete newbe but im just trying to learn i have to be honest i jst brought this kit cause i wanted a vintage kit and it was different(with the big bass drum) but since trying to find out about it i have really got into this whole vintage drum collecting thing and im defiantly continuing to do thi sin the future and hopefully build up a big collection but i need help to get my footing so any help please would mean alot

Posted on 16 years ago

We can't truly value this without seeing some pictures and knowing what the finish and condition is.

You will eventually realize that dum companies did a lot of strange things when it came to inventory and trying to get rid of it.

It is not uncommon to have different interiors depending on when the company transitioned from each.

If the drums all match on the exterior and are correct then the likely hood is that they are all original.

More when we get the detail and images

David

Posted on 16 years ago

here are some photos i can take more whenever you want the floor tom has 020 pearl sep then something i cant read and the other tom has 40-1 then underneath that 5-40 don't know if that means anything to anyone i cant see anything written in the bass drum but there is a cushion in it so it could well be underneath that hope this helps you lot in helping me

thank you for everything,

al

[IMG]http://i24.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/b8/7f/0ce7_1.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/b9/9b/d876_12.JPG[/IMG]

Posted on 16 years ago

does anybody know anything ?

i hope i havnt spent my money on a monkey but im ok with it if you tell me it is ill just have to get on with life. so any ideas pllllease would mean alot

Posted on 16 years ago

I don't think you have anything to really worry about. I have a kit where the toms are painted inside and the bass is not. My bass drum has the date stamped on the inside, where the toms do not.

Hal Leonard I believe, published a book on the history of Leedy. I have not read the book in it's entirety, but they usually have information coming directly from the source, whether its from people who worked with Leedy, or people who were involved with purchasing or selling the company, even some people who just played Leedy kits back then. They are usually very well written books.

You might want to get a copy of this book, and read it with a 'grain of salt'. You have to remember that we were either at war or just coming out of war in the '40s and supplies were hard to come by. Ludwig I know, was notorious for using any and all hardwoods he could get ahold of cheaply.

Also remember, that the idea of a 'drumset' was still a very young idea. People still weren't seeing the best way to make these things (today they still struggle). Judging from the pictures, you have a very nice looking drumset. I don't know what you paid for it, but somewhere in the purchase you were fine with the price for what you were getting...don't forget that. Is there any real value in these old kits, who knows. If they were so great, why did they go out of business, change parent companies, or even change the way they made drums?

Best of luck to you, and your collection.

1961 Ludwig Super Classic 22,13,16,18, WFL BR Snare WMP
1951-52 Slingerland Radio King Krupa Outfit 24,13,16 Champagne Sparkle
1960s/70s Polaris MIJ 20,12,16 Red Sparkle
2005 Gretsch Catalina Club WMP First Run
2008 Pearl Masters MCX 20,10,12,14f,16f & 14 Diamond Glitter
1999 Yamaha Stage Custom 22,10,12,14r,16f. Marina Green

...& many more...
Posted on 16 years ago

well another ting is that with my band we have taken the mentality trhat micing up drums is jst stupid so i needed a big sounding drum and modern ones just dont carry that that is the main reason i got the kit it was either that or a slingrland? did i make the right desicion?

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here