Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Leedy 1939 Broadway Snare Restoration tips

Hey guys. I just purchased a 1939 Leedy Broadway 8x14 snare. Just took all of the nickel hardware off of the shell. Looks like I should clean the nickel hardware with Autosol. Also, the inside and outside of the drum shell are dirty. Is there something I should do to clean the inside and outside? After it was cleaned I planned on applying some lemon oil to the inside of the drum. Is there a wax I can use for the outside of the drum on the duck finish? Also, I planned on applying some paraffin wax to the bearing edges. Is there a certain type of oil I should use to grease the tension rods? Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks so much! Super excited to bring this snare back to good working condition.

Posted on 9 years ago

Sounds like a very nice drum. Never used lemon oil but sounds nice. Lubricate the tension rods with petroleum jelly. I've recently repainted my 38 Broadway (you can see my post further down the page) so not applied any wax to the exterior yet but will probably just use a good quality auto wax polish like Mer or similar.

"If 'A' equals 'success' in life then 'A' equals 'X' plus 'Y' plus 'Z' where work equals 'X', 'Y' is play and 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut" - Albert Einstein.

1920s 14"x5" Ludwig Super Sensitive Dual Snare
1957 6 1/2" x15" Slingerland WMP Concert King
1938 8"x15" Leedy Broadway Standard
1947-53 14x6.5" NOB Ludwig & Ludwig Universal
...plus a bunch of mismatched Slingerlands that collectively make a pleasing noise.
Posted on 9 years ago

What a great project! Those art deco lugs are just awesome. Keep us posted on your progress!

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 9 years ago

Great project!

If you can, post some pictures. Nickel plating can be very thin. I start with a Windex clean then soak in mild solution of Dawn dish washing soap. Rinse well, let dry in the sun then polish with Aluminum wheel polish. My fingers work best for this. Buff with a soft cotton towel and apply good car wax. Buff again.

Will leave your shell questions for others better able to reply.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks for all of the input guys! All an all the drum isn't in bad condition. Just wanted to give her a little face lift. Heres what it looks like before I took off the hardware. Not bad for a $250 eBay score. Looks like a maple shell.

1 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

Just gave all the nickel hardware a windex clean and now soaking in a dawn/water solution. I'm gonna let it soak overnight, but it seems like most of the nickel has a greenish hue to it. Any ideas on how to remove this greenish tint from nickel?

Posted on 9 years ago

Get some cape code cloths great stuff for nickel. http://www.capecodpolish.com/

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

Boom. Resto complete.

1 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

No more green tarnish junk. Thanks for the tips guys.

Posted on 9 years ago

Yep looking great !

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here