Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Leban Drums

Last year, I mentioned being interested in a Leban set that I'd found locally. Sizes are 13/16/22 and matching 14" snare. It's a rare finish that I like a lot. The bass drum and rack tom are in acceptably good shape, but the floor tom has at least one crack inside the shell, some wrap warping, badly rusted and pitted rims and the seam looks funky, as if the ends don't match. Structurally, it looks OK.

The snare has an issue. The seller said the throwoff handle gets in the way of the rim for some reason. I'm sure it needs the edges recut too, which I would have done at Precision Drum in Pleasant Valley. I figure that would run me $100 perhaps.

I don't want to publish photos, but what would you esteemed MIJ experts offer for this set in the condition it's in? I would like to add these to the collection, but I want to gig them too. The seller pulled them off CL a long time ago, but we kept in touch, and he is looking to unload them, but not for a pittance.

Posted on 5 years ago

Hello DrumBob

Tough one without pics

by the above description I know to the good that

the wrap is rare and seldom seen and one you like a lot

But other things about them sound not so good.

What I have learned about Leban badged drums is that depending on the time. the name Leban was used by at least two of the known stencil mfgs.

those being Hoshino K and Pearl

I have one Leban kit in my bunch this aqua marine sparkle center lugger Pearl made

It was a partial just bass, floor, and mounted tom, the snare is a Stewart.

Also by some quick internet search's I found the WMP Leban badged kit (pictured) that is definitely Hoshino K built Now there was a time not long ago where most Hoshino K built drum kits were by mistake credited to Pearl but that is another issue

Good Luck

2 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

Ken, thanks for your reply. The seller and I cut a deal before that works for both of us. I'm picking them up next week. The color is Red Oyster. After I get them, I'll decide what to do with the snare. I may have George at Precision recut the edges, clean it up, etc. It depends. If I can get it sounding decent with new heads and snare wires, all the better.

These drums look like your WMP set. Same Slingerland style lugs, nameplate, etc. I'll try to post a pic or two.

1 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

Bob

I have this distressed no badge partial (bass, and toms) in that color

Which I believe to be Pearl made

the toms are more like yours

while the bass drum has faded to a point where the wood shell is showing through in spots

I liked them so much, and they were so inexpensive, that I bought them in spite of their over all condition.

The resonant side of the bass drum was missing so I put the original batter side hoop out front and used whatever I had at the time to re-build the batter side. other than that I left them sweaty so far

The white marine pearl Leban kit I posted was not mine just a web pic snag ..

1 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

Ken, I love this Oyster Red finish. I know a while back I said I was done with MIJ sets, but these drums were the correct larger sizes for me, and I couldn't get them out of my mind. I contacted the seller and he still had them, so we went back and forth for a couple of weeks until we agreed on a price. I expect to pick them up next week. He's meeting me at a convenient location. I'm sure I'll re-head the drums so I can gig them. All my sets (except for my original Slingerlands), are gig-worthy.

Posted on 5 years ago

Update? Did you get them?

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 5 years ago

Not yet. Seller on vacation until next week sometime.

Posted on 5 years ago

Some were curious about this drum deal. It went south.

We went away on vacation for a few days, and when I got back, I decided to pull away from this deal. After I really looked the drums over, I determined he wanted too much money for them. The snare drum needed work, and it appeared the bearing edges were rough, based on photos he sent. Some parts were also changed. The seller admitted he went overboard bidding on them-probably Ebay-and paid too much, and now, he was trying to get rid of them without losing his shirt. My feeling was, that's your issue, not mine.

The seller wanted nearly $500 for them, which I was unwilling to pay. Another deal gone wrong, but it happens.

Posted on 5 years ago

DrumBob!

I'm glad you decided against them. The amount being asked was just way too high, especially given the issues. Now, that being said, I also want to mention that, while I LOVE MIJ drums, I just don't think it would ever be worth it to pay the money for a professional to re-cut edges. The wood used in these drums was never the best and who knows what would happen on the router table. Many people have had good luck with cutting edges, but, IMHO, I just can't see spending that much money on these drums. I've always gotten acceptable sound from my MIJ drums from head selection and tuning.

Again, all the above are just my personal opinion. YMMV!!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here