Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Lawrence Welk

I turn it on to see the drums mainly today

A early Hollywood with a timpani no ft gold sparkle pearl

sweet

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 2 years ago

Johnny Klein was Welk's second cousin from North Dakota. He played drums with Welk's orchestras from 1951 through 1976. When Klein left the Welk group, he was replaced by Paul Humphrey. Humphrey was the only Black musician in the orchestra from 1976 through the mid 1980s. Klein must have been provided with new Ludwigs at least once every TV season. I think that he switched to Pearl drums in the last season or two. I remember Humphrey playing Premiers.

2 attachments
No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 2 years ago

I recall my folks watching Welk and me watching Klein on the Ludwigs in the days of my youth. I don't think I would have seen any of those shows after spring of '69 or so (mostly out on the road once I had a driver's license) so I don't recall Humphrey. I do seem to recall that a lot of jazz drummers moved from Gretsch to Premier around that time. My drum instructor moved from Slingerland to Premier about that era.

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here