Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Latest Slingy Project

Sometime in early April I picked up an extremely neglected early 70s Avante kit in a gloss black wrap. The drum sizes are 8x12, 9x13, 10x14, 16x16 and 14x24. When I purchased the kit I also obtained some vintage snare stands, a few vintage cymbal stands and a 22" ride cymbal that was actually "green".

Although most of the items looked horrific, cosmetically speaking, they were all pretty sound from a functional standpoint. There were no modifications of any kind made to the kit and there were no extra holes in any of the shells. The black wrap was lifting on all the drums and had several tears and cracks but all the toms had their original badges, mounts and tone controls. I was simply looking for something that I could get up and running and use as the "house kit" at our practice studio and for the price I couldn't pass this one up.

The first thing I did was to remove all the hardware from all the shells and start the much needed "clean & polish" effort. I couldn't believe how well the lugs and floor tom mounts turned out (last pic).

Initially my plan was to make the attempt to re-glue all the wraps at the seams (something I had never previously done) but I realized that it would be quite a challenge based on the condition they were in. While working on the 8x12 tom I noticed that the section of the outer shell that was exposed seemed to be in really decent shape with minimal glue residue other than the area where the wrap overlapped at the seam. Since I was never a fan of that plain black gloss wrap anyway and had always liked the looks of "natural wood" finishes I decided to remove the entire wrap from that drum to see how the entire shell looked. I was quite surprised (in a positive way) at the condition. Right then I decided to remove all the wraps from all the drums to see if they were in the same shape. The pics I posted show the results.

Other than some minimal adhesive residue on all the shells at the seams, the rest of the areas looked pretty good. I've decided to keep the shells in their "as is" condition without applying any sort of wrap to them.

Here's my question: Would it be wise to leave the minimal adhesive residue "as is" on the shells or is there a product or simple process that would remove it without negatively affecting the condition of the shell itself? Again, this kit will more than likely only be used at our practice studio.

THANKS in advance for your time and your help!

Posted on 12 years ago

Xylene kills glue residue.

Goo Gone might do it if the glue is sparse enough.

Check out the Goo Gone in the spray container. Its a little thicker than the stuff in the oil can. You can leave it on for a bit and wipe it off lightly with one of those green scouring pads. Seems to work.

-Adam

Posted on 12 years ago

Nice project kit. That's going to look great when you finish them.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

I'm pulling for you. I love the natural wood kits. Never seen a natural finish Avante kit. I'm stoked on this one. I'm following the progress very closely. Go dog go!!!

What Would You Do
Posted on 12 years ago

Those look pretty shiny, is that the glue residue? Almost looks like a clear finish! Adam is right about the xylene, use that with a sharp scraper, sanding might take off that thin outer veneer.

Posted on 12 years ago

Xylene works great, my bud Poppy from here on the forum clued me in on how to use it.

Lots of ventilation.... the fumes are strong!!!

You should tape off all holes and the bearing edges first.

Soak a rag first with the stuff and lay it out on the drum. Let it soak a while, about ten to fifteen minutes. This will soften the residue. I use the same rag to wipe off the glue from that area. It's more like vigorous rubbing than wiping.

When you're done, wait a day or two and clean again with neutral mineral spirits.

Then sand and refinish.

However, OldSchool, I have a feeling what is going on with these shells is what I have an example of as well.

That shiny look on a unwrapped shell looks familiar.

I have a Slingy FT that the wrap nearly fell off of when I removed it.

A nasty looking satin flame that had no hope of restoration.

What was left underneath was a really shiny looking 1/16 inch thick perfectly hardened layer of glue around the whole shell.

The wrap had just released from it, and the glue looks like a heavily lacquered finish.

But it's glue, for sure.

The scarf joint on my FT looks a little rough too, like that's the only place there is glue residue left.

I love the way these mahogany exterior shells can turn out.

It's labor intensive, taking off all the glue, sanding and refinishing, but the the results can be very nice.

I did these a while back.....

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

Kevins those look nice. I agree the mahogany looks great. If I ever plunge into a 3rd project it'll be a natural wood finish kit. I'll need a 24" bass cause the wife will have me living in it if she sees any more drums here. flower

Great info on tyhe glue layer it does almost look like a poly finish! Good to know thanks.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

From lucky

Those look pretty shiny, is that the glue residue? Almost looks like a clear finish! Adam is right about the xylene, use that with a sharp scraper, sanding might take off that thin outer veneer.

Based on the comments from Kevin, it probably is glue residue. Nevertheless, for some strange reason I actually like the looks of it. My current plan is to apply some transparent WWII-era waterslide images to the shells and I'm having an old photograph of my parents in a club during my dad's service in WWII transformed into a waterslide image to apply to the bass drum head. I lost my dad several years ago and my mom's in her late 80s so I thought I'd put together a player's kit for the practice studio in their honor. The great thing about the waterslide images is that you can put them on as well as remove them very easily with water.

kevins: Would the shells be negatively affected in any way if I simply left them in their "as is" condition? The description of your satin flame kit is exactly what went on with this one when I was removing the gloss black wrap. IF I left the shells "as is" is there some product I should pick up to coat the shells with? Just wondering.

Posted on 12 years ago

OldSchool

I'm thinking that Poppy79424 might be your guide on this. He's the master of all things adhesive and maybe he would know how to advise you if he knew what the rest of the process with the waterslide images would be?

It sounds like another of your really cool projects, I hope it goes well for you.

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

From kevins

OldSchoolI'm thinking that Poppy79424 might be your guide on this. He's the master of all things adhesive and maybe he would know how to advise you if he knew what the rest of the process with the waterslide images would be? It sounds like another of your really cool projects, I hope it goes well for you.

THANKS for the recommendation, Kevin. It's funny that you mentioned Poppy79424. I just viewed a clip on youtube of him showing how to install badge grommets. I'll touch base with him regarding the adhesive residue.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here