Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Latest Rogers Holiday Cleveland....

[COLOR="DarkRed"]This puppy was really in bad shape...don't have any "before" shots but it was a Cleveland with cracked B & B lugs, black gloss wrap in horrific shape (gouges, scratches, tears), and each drum had at least one bearing edge that looked like it had been attacked by pirhanas...someone had at some point removed the bottom hoops and lugs to make it a concert tom sorta kit, thus the res edges were all basically left exposed to whatever knockabouts it managed to survive...

Honestly, I bought the kit for $350 or so from a guy who just wanted it gone; not that it was worth much more than that; poor thang had been so abused....and I really just needed the swivomatic hardware, the badges, the older-type bass claws and rods, and the 1960's Avedises that came with it. It had no snare drum, too.

So, as 2/3 of the B & B's were cracked, I just sold off the remaining good ones on eFlay for $120.

These sat, stripped shells, in my garage for almost a year until a client wanted me to work up a nice old-school rock kit. 22/13/16...snare is interesting, a Rogers Spotlight 5" tall (yes) x 14"....hadn't been altered, was really 5".

No way was I gonna invest in B & B repros for this one, so I widened the holes to take beavertail lugs, stripped off all the wraps, rewrapped, and reinstalled the swivomatic hardware. I used the later-style Rogers rods and claws, since the lugs were now B'tail...but they are still '60's vintage.

Was able to salvage the tom edges (both res sides, thank goodness) by re-routing. Fortunately, the original Rogers batter side edges were still good.

For the bass drum, I had to take off 3/8" from the chewed up edge...got it back down to flat then re-routed with a 45 degree interior bevel and a very small roundover exterior. VERY close to looking like the original Rogers edge...To compensate, I had to then elongate the lug holes away from the new edge so they wouldn't appear to be closer to the new edge than the original edge opposite. The knobby mount on the bass was originally set lower towards the side, but she wanted to use the mount for cowbells as opposed to a cymbal arm...so the revised location made more sense.

End of story. Client very stoked. I am, too..and also glad it's over...these were very labor-intensive and time-consuming....

[/COLOR]

1 attachments
www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Jaye, these are very nice. Good job on the wrap - I LOVE the gold sparkle. My favorite finish! Did you use original Rogers hoops (bass and toms) or did you get replacements? I'm at that decision point and I don't know which way to lean. This kit looks seriously sweet. Really nice job, Jaye. Really nice.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]It had one hoop with it, which I believe was original. Honestly, my buddy sold me a second vintage one which he thought was an old Luddy or WFL...and you couldn't tell the difference between the two. Same rabbet for the inlay. I think the Luddy one was perhaps a tad thicker, but we are talking like 1/32".

I think, if you are gonna turn to sell, just get new ones. If you are gonna keep, I could see why you might wanna hold out for vintage R's...[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Those look amazing. Love the Gold Sparkle!Yes Sir

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

Nice Restomod!

So elongating the holes sounds interesting. What stops the lug from slipping forward in the holes towards the hoop and the drum losing tension over time? I guess the lug is held on tight enough....maybe the washers dig in and help a bit. Or, maybe I'm understanding it all wrong...that's happened before.:)

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]OK, 2 answers to your Q since I am not positive to what you are referring.

1) Just elongating the holes for the purpose of fitting the Beavertail lugs is easy,I am just oval-izing the existing B & B holes... there's no slipping because the lus fit into the extreme ends of the holes, not mid-hole.

2) Regarding moving the holes backward away from the edge, I took some small pcs of dowel and glued 'em/sanded 'em into the "top" sections of the holes...[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="DarkRed"]2) Regarding moving the holes backward away from the edge, I took some small pcs of dowel and glued 'em/sanded 'em into the "top" sections of the holes...[/COLOR]

Yep, that answers it. Figured you had to do something there.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.:)

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here