Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Latest ~ '70's Gretsch bop kit renovation

[COLOR="Green"]Stopsign badge, silver interior 3-pc. 18/12/14. These were actually originally lacquered, but the lacquer was really shot to hell. Also, owner and I glean that these weren't from the same factory kit, but 3 orphans combined, although they are roughly from the same 5-8 year period.

The bass drum was a 16x18 6-ply with holes for 4 leg brackets..someone had already converted it to a Bass drum (not a bad conversion, either). Curious thing being, it had large lugs and zero sign of them ever having been redrilled. So the FT must have had large lugs originally (?)

Regardless, one edge was absolutely chewed up, and some fool had hacked in a '70's Luddy tom mount plate right near the edge of the head..so I cut her down to 13x18 and recut the batter edge to a 45 degree with exterior roundover. I know, NOT the Gretsch edge, but honestly, the original profile of the edges on these are less than impressive.

Right here is the instance of what some of us were talking about in another thread. The original lacquered shells left very little flexibility in their diameters for being wrapped. Client loved Aquarian coated heads...which happen to be the least forgiving of all heads when it comes to tight diameters and very rigid head hoops. So...he has his kit, and is from hereon in a Remo/Evans guy. Odd that the reso on the bass still fit, but none of the batters did any longer. But good 'ol Ambassadors and Emperors managed to get on without trouble.

Anyway...Green Glass Glitter. There she is. [/COLOR]

2 attachments
www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Fantastic job Jaye!!! Curious what the kit behind it is? The tigers eye wrap brings back fond memories of an import FT I had once.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="Sienna"]It's that household name in drum mfr's:

WHITEHALL

Falling Do

Actually...I just rec'd a set of wraps from drummaker.com...the customized color wraps...and I had them make me 3 sheets in a tiger's eye ripple. I am gonna wrap a set of Pearls in that in the next month or so...[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Man I am really digging that green glass glitter! Great job.

Posted on 15 years ago

kewl wrap up!

I have the same project in mind with these babies! Same crappy laquer job that's needs to be covered.

~k

2 attachments
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]OK, Kelly...so these looked exactly like yours; although yours are probably a few years older. So...I glean that THAT was really the Gretsch factory finish on 'em then...which is kinda pathetic. I mean, even the 14x14 FT which was in pretty good shape regarding the exterior...looked really, really bad. Just a bad stain color, a pretty amateurish-looking lacquer job, and not a good/attractive choice of woodgrain to lacquer over, either.

They were the same era shells as yours, except the 12" on this one was one of the (in)famous 10-luggers...

I can say, however, that the shells work very easily on a rewrap. Just check the head fit prior to proceeding.

Thanks for the compliments, folks. Glitter is always a bit of a bear to work with...it's sorta stiff and literally, with every 6th or 7th of so pass you make with a good sharp cutting blade, you have to change the blade becasue it's trashed. I guess that's what realy glass pieces do to a blade.

BUT...this is the 4th Glitter rewrap I have done.... and they really do look spectacular...always richer looking than sparkle.

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

how would it cut on a tablesaw with a carbide blade? I always cut laminates on the tablesaw or with a router.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="Indigo"]Good question...have never done that. I would imagine if the blade was finetooth, it'd work very well...[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here