Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Late 70's Converted LUDWIG Piccolo

Thought I'd Share this with the forum. This is a 14" X 4-1/4" LUDWIG Piccolo snare I built out of a 14 X 13 Concert tom. It's 6-ply Maple Poplar Mahogany shell with Clear Maple Interior.

I picked up this 14 X 13 Concert tom off of ebay a few months ago. It was originally 10 lug with a clip mount. But someone NOT ME drilled out the bottom for 10 more lugs but did a real bad job of it. Then for some reason drilled the top out for large lugs. So you had large lugs on top, small on the bottom. Also a modular mount was drilled into it just a couple of spots away for the badge. Pour shell was really butchered. So I took it and cut out the undrilled centre portion out of the shell. Was only able to get 4-1/2 out of it but lost almost a 1/4" of an inch when the shell was trued up and new baring edges where cut. I did all the measuring, mapping out and drilling for the hardware myself. Baring edges and snare beds I had done professionally.

I think it turned out really well. I was inspired by the 60's Down beat Ludwig Piccolo snare and the Slingerland piccolo Buddy Rich used in the late 60's. All of the hardware is Vintage Ludwig. Except for the throw off and Snare wires. They are new. The wrap is the original white cortex wrap, and the Badge is the original Badge. I gave it a few quick taps and it sounds pretty good. I'll have to take it to practice and give her a good test. Hopefully I will be able to sell it down the road.

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Here's a few more shots.

Posted on 8 years ago

Beautiful! You brought a sad drum back to life! I was also thinking "Buddy Rich" when I saw it. Again, a fine restoration on a drum that might have ended up in the trash heap!

-Mark

Posted on 8 years ago

cool looking indeed !

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 8 years ago

From idrum4fun

Beautiful! You brought a sad drum back to life! I was also thinking "Buddy Rich" when I saw it. Again, a fine restoration on a drum that might have ended up in the trash heap!-Mark

Thank You For the kind words. When you said Trash Heap I got a cold shiver up my spine.

Posted on 8 years ago

I'm considering doing this with a 10x14 concert tom I have that has been drilled for multiple mounts as well.

Did you use a table saw to cut the shell down?

Great save! Looks really professional.

I like Drums...
1963 Ludwig Downbeat Champagne Sparkle
1964 Leedy (Slingerland) Blue n Silver Duco
1964 Ludwig Club Date Sparkling Silver Pearl
1966 Ludwig Super Classic Sparkling Silver Pearl
1968 Gretsch round badge modern jazz orange stain
1972 Slingerland 85N Pop outfit Light Blue Pearl
1976 Ludwig Vistalite clear
1981 Gretsch SSB Gran Prix Rosewood
1987 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Mellow Yellow
1991 Pearl Export Ferrari Red
Posted on 8 years ago

From clubdate64

I'm considering doing this with a 10x14 concert tom I have that has been drilled for multiple mounts as well.Did you use a table saw to cut the shell down?Great save! Looks really professional.

YEP!!!. That's exactly how it was done. Just put the shell against the fence of the table saw, push the shell into the blade and spin the shell.

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here