Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Late-70 (78?) Ludwig with 3 ply?

Just bought a great sounding Ludwig. It was sold to me as it was an early 70 (70-71?) but later, by researching serials and info, just discovered it's late 70, probably 78.

It's 3 ply with rings. From what I understand they were made with lefteover 3-ply shells from the early 70s til they use them all. Serials are 182xxxx (the clear coated) and 185xxxx (the granitone). Pointed b/o badges.

Any info on those drums? Are they the exact same thing as they ones produced 70-75?

Also wondering about their value/collectability/etc. Do they worth the same as 70-75 ? They sound great but I feel slightly uncomfortable as I don't know if I overpaid because of this or if I should not worry about this.

Thx !

5 attachments
Posted on 1 year ago

Two of the three badge grommets have obviously been tampered with. What badge and serial number on the bass drum?

Posted on 1 year ago

From slingerfan

Two of the three badge grommets have obviously been tampered with.

Any idea of what could have happened? But they look like 3 plys ludwig shell, right?

Posted on 1 year ago

Additional pictures of the entire kit will be helpful as well as badge/serial information for the bass and any other drums in the set.

Posted on 1 year ago

The badge grommet on the kick drum was definitively heavily tampered.

4 attachments
Posted on 1 year ago

Badges tampered with to that extent can not be considered reliable.

Posted on 1 year ago

Looking at those grommets I'd suspect that someone wanted a "Ringo" set and did a rewrap on random 70s drums. From 1970 until around 1992 that was the only version of Oyster Black that you could buy. I can't think of any other reason someone would have futzed with the grommets to that degree. None of this really effects them as far as drums as instruments but would definitely put them into the "player" category which does have an impact on their value. And I could well be wrong but those questions are going to be in the mind of any potential buyer.

Anyway, as mentioned above, with grommets like that the serial numbers become meaningless (more so than usual) because they may not be the original badges.

Posted on 1 year ago

This is why it's very important to provide us with detailed pictures before making your purchase. The badge and mangled grommets are a dead giveaway that there has been skulduggery involved. Of the three kits you posted the other day, based on the pics I saw, this would have been the kit I would have chosen. In hindsight, it wouldn't have even made the list. There is almost zero interest in this type of kit on the collecting market. Those "little" details make all the difference when it comes to authenticating a vintage drum set. I hope you can get your money back or at least that you didn't pay much. On the other hand, you mentioned your main interest was in the sound, so maybe those drums sound great. If that's the case, then congrats. If not, then my condolences.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here