Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Late 20's Early 30's Slingerland Help

Hi,

I recently aquired an old Slingerland drum that I don't know much about. Countless searches on this drum haven't turned any results other than VintageSnareDrums.com. I found a drum similar to it in the 1928 Slingerland Catalog image on this site, but the image was too small to see any real detail. One of the heads is a "Slingerland Supertone Calf" skin head and the other head is a replacement head, also very old, it's a clear mylar snare side head the reads "SPEEDEX by Selmer". It measures 7" X 12". It has wooden hoops and 6 dual tension rods, no lugs. One of the tension rods also acts as the snare strainer but there is no butt on the opposite side of the drum (an old Merry-Go-Round drum maybe?). So only 5 of the tension rods tighten the bottom head. Since I have no way to host photos online, anybody interested in helping find out what this drum is, or if you just want to see it, email me and I'll send the pics and scans to you.

Thanks for taking the time!

VDrums2112

Posted on 18 years ago

i'm not familiar enough with the strainer but judging by the size, tensioning and woeful description of the strainer it must be a Junior Model.

If you email pics to David the webmaster at [email]vsd@vintagesnaredrums.com[/email], he can post them for you.

David, in your helpful page on identifying a drum, it might be advantageous to add that the head doesn't help identify the drum at all.

Posted on 18 years ago

[Attachment: 282][COLOR="Indigo"]

VDrums2112:

From your description the closest Slingerland drum would probably be the No. 652 "Juvenile Parade Drum", with 7x12 shell, made primarily 1934 - 1938. A picture is shown above. From the factory this came with 6 thumb rods for tensioning, in addition to the thumb rod strainer. Very often the tension rods get lost, as you can see has happened in the drum pictured. The model mostly came in a natural maple exterior ply with red painted wood hoops. Another common color combination was red shell with black hoops, but for a little extra you could get any colors you wanted. The drum was intended for the "youngsters" market. Slingerland normally put a brass cloud badge on it with black lettering, as shown.[/COLOR]

Posted on 18 years ago

Yep, That's it man! Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it!

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here