Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

Late 1950's WFL Sparkle Finishes- Confetti or Crushed Glass pattern?

I picked up a 14x20 bass and 12x14 floor tom WFL set recently, and since the original finished is hammered, have decided to re-wrap them. Drums are from approx 1956.

In the interest of keeping the drums configured as closely to what could be ordered when they were new, I have decided to go with green sparkle. However, the small amount of research I have done seems to show that WFL era drums have the "Crushed Glass" pattern on the sparkle finish, and 1960's Ludwig drums seem to have the "Confetti" pattern on the sparkle finish.

Now is this true, or am I just seeing things? I want to make the right choice with the finish, in order to keep the drums as original looking as possible.

Posted on 15 years ago

You are correct. The crushed glass fineshes were done away with around 1959. I would use a crushed glass on your set as it would look more period correct.

-Kurt

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the answer, there seems to be a whole lot less information out there out WFL drums vs Ludwig, even though they are quite similar.

I am on the hunt now for a late 50's WFL 8x12 tom, and am surprised how tough it seems to be to find. 9X13's are out there, but I am really surprised that I had an easier time finding the 12x14 floor tom than I am finding an 8x12 mounted tom.

The 12x14 is an interesting drum, and I was surprised that WFL used that size vs the 14x14 (as listed in the 1956 catalog), I guess it was a cost measure since they already made 12x14 snare drums.

Now how hard is it to locate a 18x20 "compacto jobbing outfit"? That seems like a tough one.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here