Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Large deep bass drums - response thereof

I've been after a 24" bass for quite a while now and have suddenly been offered a pretty unusual kit with an 18" deep 24" bass drum of my preferred brand. Following the "doesn't rain unless it pours" theory, I've also been offered another kit with a trad 14" deep 24" bass drum.

The latter I've had before so that's a known quantity - loved it.

Question is as follows: I've tried a 20" bass drum with 16 or 18 depth (can't remember exactly how deep) and personally I didn't think it had the "thunk" (technical term) of the traditional depth. Have also heard this comment from others. However would the extra four inches in diameter of a 24" add to the "thunk" factor. Don't really have the option to try these sizes in person so am asking for some brotherly advice.

In other words, will the 14" or 18" deep drum respond best? I want it for rockier stuff but still with a bit of a retro vibe.

Posted on 17 years ago

Its very hard to find the traditional depth (14) on modern bass drums, although a few companies still produce them. I would choose the 14 inch because I am more of a retro guy, although a deeper bass drum may sound a bit more focused and would be good for funk or something. If your going to buy a vintage kit (or kick) you will almost certainly get a 14 inch depth.

Posted on 17 years ago

I ended up getting the kit in question with the 18" deep bass drum - a very quirky shell consisting of 10" and 8" shell sections put together with a glue ring under.

Tried it with nothing inside save a couple of felt strips and that was teensy bit too boomy for my taste. Now have a very thin but long pillow which just lightly touches each head and it sounds amazing. Have posted a pic in the kits gallery - Oaklawn Camco with two floor toms with oval badges in a maple finish (which should put it somewhere between 69 and 71).

About to show her off at what looks like Sweden's first vintage drum show next Saturday just outside of Stockholm.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here