Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

Krupa Snare Drum

G'day All - Would anyone know anything about this snare drum? I've tried to find out and have decided that it's obviously a snare that relates to the Gene Krupa era. Perhaps it's one of the Radio King models? Anyway, any help will be appreciated. I think that the round Krupa badge may indicate its vintage and value. Many thanks.

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

I'm aware that Gene Krupa's equipment often had personalized I.D. on it. Zildjian used to stamp his cymbals with "GK." He also had some "personalized" Radio King Cloud badges on his kit, one of which had the wording GENE KRUPA "KING OF SWING". However, I've never seen the badge that's on your drum. Hopefully, some of the "experts" on this forum will chime in. It appears that there's some additional wording on the lower portion of the badge that's covered in paint. Is this true? If so, what does it say?

Posted on 15 years ago

I think it's a knock off of a Radio King..pretty cool though, I have not seen one of those before...I'm sure someone on here has though. Stay tuned.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

From OldSchool

I'm aware that Gene Krupa's equipment often had personalized I.D. on it. Zildjian used to stamp his cymbals with "GK." He also had some "personalized" Radio King Cloud badges on his kit, one of which had the wording GENE KRUPA "KING OF SWING". However, I've never seen the badge that's on your drum. Hopefully, some of the "experts" on this forum will chime in. It appears that there's some additional wording on the lower portion of the badge that's covered in paint. Is this true? If so, what does it say?

G'day Old School, thanks for your comments. I've attached the badge for you to view and it looks like it hasn't been painted over. Hope this sheds some more light on the snare's origins.

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Probably just another 60's Japanese stencil brand trying to cash in on the great Krupa name......

Posted on 15 years ago

I agree with Ludwig-Dude on this, but that is one sweet drum! Look at the strainer arm. Shaped like a drum stick.

Can we see the inside of the drum?

Can I use that badge on the web site?

Thanks

David

Posted on 15 years ago

That is very cool!!

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 15 years ago

Yeah! Cool throwoff and badge. I would love to see the interior. It's likely a stencil kit, as mentioned, but, for those who like stencil drums, it's quite nice!

I also like that snare mechanism. It seems to be a teeter-totter with a screw through one end that must be threaded such that it will teeter or totter the snares on or off. It never ceases to amaze me at how many ideas there are to simply throw the snares on or off. But I give it a lot of bonus points for style! VERY cool!Cool1

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

The batter side head appears to be a "Hayman." Perhaps this one's of British background?

Posted on 15 years ago

From Webmaster

I agree with Ludwig-Dude on this, but that is one sweet drum! Look at the strainer arm. Shaped like a drum stick. Can we see the inside of the drum? Can I use that badge on the web site? Thanks David

G'day David

No problems at all using the badge. Inside of drum is attached. Do you have any idea what its value might be.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here