Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Kinda scared to touch the bearing edges...

I'm re-working a snare drum I recently bought. It was covered in acrylic which I successfully removed with Citristrip. The problem I've encountered now is that there is some stainage from the paint and stripper on the inner slope of the bearing edge.

Obviously, I'm not going to mess with the actual bearing edge itself as it's in good shape, but I would like to lightly sand away the stains on the inner slope using 400 grit sandpaper. Is this a good idea as long as I carefully maintain the angle or will it make the bearing edge too sharp?

Cuttle

Posted on 13 years ago

Myself - I did not want to mess with the bearing edges on my 58 Gretsch kit. A friend that has been building & working with drums for decades offered to look at them and ultimately worked on them. To use his words - he kept to the original intentions on all the edges and he said it was the most difficult edge job he had ever done. Each one of my drums (all four) had a different type of bearing edge. And he had to work around the seam "bump" on the wrapped finish - not easy to do appearantly.

My answer - even though I have absolutely no experiance in working with edges - would be not to do anything to them unless you know you are not going to change the "original intentions" of those edges. If that is important to you of course. If it isn't and you need to sand them a little to make the head seat better then you have to make that call.

Posted on 13 years ago

It`s not an endgrain, stains wont go deep,..wrap the sandpaper 220,..400 if you`re scared,..around a small DRY kitchen sponge and have at it. Keep in mind, hardwood will render 400 grit to 900 grit real fast and you may end up scornning the wood to a shine !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

Well, keeping the bearing edges intact is very important to me but I don't have anyone local that could do the job professionally. I'll just try it on my own and be extra careful. 400 grit shouldn't remove much wood and like oddball said the stains can't be very deep. Thanks for the advice guys :-)

Cuttle

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here