Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Kimberly restoration

Hello folks. First time poster, long time lurker here. I thought I'd open with a few pictures of my latest restoration: a mid 60s Kimberly set I aquired. It started life as a gold sparkle kit who's wrap was in poor shape. I stripped them down, hand sanded and trued up the bearing edges, treated the shells with three coats of danish oil, let cure and then finished with Howards Feed and Wax. I rewrapped the whole set with copper strata drum wrap and new Evans heads all around. I chose a clear bass reso to show off the beautiful wood interior. The set now resides in our studio and is being put to work recording. Unbelievably warm punchy tones out of this beauty. :)

Posted on 6 years ago

Welcome to the forum. Those turned out really nice. Great job!

Posted on 6 years ago

Welcome to the forum. You did a great job on the kit, nice to have another member that values vintage kits and puts some elbow grease into them to preserve them !

Michael

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 6 years ago

Beautiful work. I love that finish. Excited

Posted on 6 years ago

Hi Kingfish... and Welcome to the forum!

Great looking kit! Where did you get the wrap?

-Mark

Posted on 6 years ago

Welcome to the forum! Very nice job. 3 coats of Danish oil huh, laun tends to suck it up haha. LOVE the wrap, where did you get it? Did you glue down or high bond tape?

Lot's of great MIJ stuff here, you'll fit right in ;)

Cheers.

Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks guys, it's a pleasure to be here. I got the wrap from a local guy to me who operates under the name Drum Rescue Group. I am unsure where he gets it from, but he buys in bulk. The only other place I have seen this particular wrap is at the Chicago Drum Company, which seems to be a former Slingerland employee making drums from the old Slingy dies and machines. I applied the wrap the way it originally was on these drums, with taped seams.

Posted on 6 years ago

From Kingfish

Thanks guys, it's a pleasure to be here. I got the wrap from a local guy to me who operates under the name Drum Rescue Group. I am unsure where he gets it from, but he buys in bulk. The only other place I have seen this particular wrap is at the Chicago Drum Company, which seems to be a former Slingerland employee making drums from the old Slingy dies and machines. I applied the wrap the way it originally was on these drums, with taped seams.

Yeah, very cool wrap. The insides of those shells remind me of my 70's B303 Premier African Mahogany shells...which is to say, gorgeous.

Cheers.

1 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

Welcome To VDF......The job on that kit is excellent. I agree with all the other members plus the interiors as Trilok said is very premier. All the best...sean

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here