Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Kent/Leedy kit - Soundfile.

Hello - I thought some of you might be interested in hearing what a Kent kit sounds like. This is something I slapped together pretty quick in my studio (the wife was out shopping so I had some time to play).

Now let me warn you, I'm more of a Blues/Rock guy than a Jazz guy, but I wanted to also hear how my new 22" Bliss ride sounded in a Jazz type setting. Go easy on the playing please - LOL!!!

Click Me!

p.s. I think the Bliss Sounds pretty sweet, yes?

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

Both sounded real good!

Posted on 16 years ago

I dug it also

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Didnt get to hear the Kents because they were drowned out by that beatiful ride cymbal being played by that Joe Morello sounding drummerClapping Happy2 ...NICE!

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 16 years ago

Hey big daddy!...

Is this snare drum by any chance the 41/2X14 that you just created out of another Kent shell? If so, you know what I would have liked to hear:

This is a pretty common type technique when playing behind a piano in a classic jazz trio like the MMO you are playing with here: Either on the first "A" section of the head, or during the first "A" section of the piano solo, a cross stick on just 4... or 2 and 4... ( against the ride pattern of course! ) ... lets everything breathe a little, yet supplies a nice push for the tune, and shows off the nice "woody" sound of the snare drum. Then, open up and comp in the traditional jazz manner as you have already done. It also enables the drummer to "color" the tune and give it some place to go. Butch Miles is a MASTER at this, and he prefers cross stick on 2 and 4. Really gives a nice subtle push to the swing! And,

This was not a criticisim!! You sounded great! This was more of a suggestion for breaking up the comping behind the piano player, especially in a jazz trio... and ... I would love to hear the cross stick sound of that Kent snare drum! Nice job!

Tommyp

Posted on 16 years ago

That was kick'in BD... I signed up for my first drum lesson next Sat.

Someday I hope to be able play something like that and maybe even understand what the heck Tommyp was recommending.

Some inspiration always helps.. The idea of attaching short sound files to the gallery had been posted out here a while back..(resource hog I'm sure) but your post is great example of how cool it would be.

NICE!

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

Hey Jim!...

Let's see if I can shed some light on this cross stick "comping" for you:

Here's an EXCELLENT clip of the great Butch Miles kickin' the Count Basie big band on a chart called "Splanky". Whereas a lot of drummers would be fillin' in behind the band/soloist with the snare drum, Butch lays in 2 and 4 with the cross stick on the rim while maintaining the ride pattern... every once and again he'll accent with a quick little snare shot... and then right back to the cross stick. This is in a big band setting of course, but this technique is just as effective in a trio or quartet. Watch the whole clip because when the band gets to the SHOUT CHORUS, Butch kicks it up a notch by accenting all the kicks on the snare drum and cymbals... and then right back to the cross stick on 2 and 4 which "release's" the pressure, and allows the band and chart to breathe... and gives them someplace to go dynamically.

As big a BR fan as I am!... Butch Miles is right up there for me too... and in a lot of ways, he PLAYS with the band a lot more musically, instead of just constantly blowing chops all over the place. But make no mistake, Butch has chops to burn! Here's the clip... Enjoy!! http://youtube.com/watch?v=kGHxKVCfuyE&feature=related

Tommyp

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words. Likening my playing to Morello though is just too much. I'm more like Buddy Rich, minus the chops, speed and technique - LOL!!!

Actually, as for the old school jazz/big band guys, I find myself drawn to the wonderful "feel" that Krupa had. Sure, I can certainly appreciate the speed and technique of Buddy and countless others, but there was something about the groove when Krupa played... If I could capture even a small part of that, I'd be happy.

Tommy - Yeah man, I'm hip to the 4 or 2 & 4 cross stick thing. Also the cross stick on 2 and the tom on 4e as well. Love that sound and use it now and then on some of the blues swing stuff I play.

The snare wasn't the stubby Kent, it was my trusty champagne sparkle 5" X 14" Kent. First drum I ever restored.

I've been messing with/re-recording the drum track on that tune using various snares, tunings and techniques - I may very well record another version with the "Stub" just to see how it works in that setting. If I do, I'll be sure to give you some side stick and I'll post the results!!

Lastly, the soundfile is hosted on my own website, so there is no impact on the VSD site. If folks did the same, I think it would be a great idea to have soundfiles to accompany some of the amazing kits/snares featured on this site!

Again, thanks for all the kind words!

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

Tommyp.. nice, thanks.. I spent the evening exploring Count Basie clips.. what a list of drummers in that history lesson. CHOPS.. man you better bring a chainsaw to even tap your toe with that line up of drummers.

Sweet, I think maybe I understood the 2 4 cross sticking idea...with light quarter notes on the ride, and steady whole notes on the bass...(I can do that) but I darn near put my eye out trying to get in and out of cross-sticking for the quick fills.... I may not live long enough to ever to get decent..

Hey BD... I didn't mean you were taking resources on VSD I just meant if David ever tried to host that on his boxes it would be a load.

Hey thanks for letting me sit in on this little session.. great little thread!

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here