Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Kent chrome snare update

Well, I got the drum today. The shell is steel. Everything seems to be original. Even both heads have the Kent logo, although there is a 1" split in the reso head right on the bearing edge. The snare wires look original. There is some very minor rusting. The badge is dark blue and gold. I'd say as is, a 7or8 out of ten. So does this have any value to anyone? Thanks. Tom.

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

So--- Nobody knows anything or nobody cares about an American made 1960s snare drum that is 100% original and intact right down to the heads? Maybe I should have gotten a luan Asian stencil drum. That seems to spark comments.

Posted on 15 years ago

LOL!! I'm diggin it. I have a Kent too..needs so much work..impulse ebay buy. It's going to be one of those nothing else to do projects..

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

Sorry, but it's not 100% original. The shell, hoops and lugs appear original (as are the heads so you say). The strainer is definitely not and the snare wires are likely not original. Cant tell if the tension rods are either, but that's no biggie.

Kent used a flimsy strainer which can break easily if you are rough with it. Quite a few have been replaced with (arguably better) strainers in many cases.

The strainer on this drum looks like a Ludwig, or Ludwig knock-off.

Are you trying to flip this drum? I would estimate a realistic value at around $45.00 to $65.00. If it were all original, maybe as much as $90.00, but you're competing with drums like Ludwig Acrolites and such - They can be had for under $100.00 if you look around and they are better quality drums.

This is from a die-hard Kent guy/collector.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

From big daddy

Sorry, but it's not 100% original. The shell, hoops and lugs appear original (as are the heads so you say). The strainer is definitely not and the snare wires are likely not original. Cant tell if the tension rods are either, but that's no biggie.Kent used a flimsy strainer which can break easily if you are rough with it. Quite a few have been replaced with (arguably better) strainers in many cases.The strainer on this drum looks like a Ludwig, or Ludwig knock-off.Are you trying to flip this drum? I would estimate a realistic value at around $45.00 to $65.00. If it were all original, maybe as much as $90.00, but you're competing with drums like Ludwig Acrolites and such - They can be had for under $100.00 if you look around and they are better quality drums.This is from a die-hard Kent guy/collector.

The strainer is definately not a Ludwig. It looks very generic. The heads logos say E.W.Kent drumheads by weather king. I don't think the heads have ever

been off the drum. If they didn't change heads, why change t-rods? What would a Kent strainer look like? I know that this is not a much desired drum, but I personally would choose it over an acrolite, which I don't care for. I got the drum for $40 shipped to my door. An impulse buy. If any one wants it, make me an offer. I also have a Kent wood shelled drum that was a single tension that I modified with Ego single point lugs and triple flange hoops. White and gold badge. I would entertain offers on that one as well.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I think it's awesome, IMHO...but yes, the Kent strainers weren't very sturdy, so that is a replacement. But if tehre are no extra holes near the strainer, the previous owner did an intelligent replacement. Looks a hecka lot like a Slingerland Rapid, to me.....

It looks like it's in good shape, and does have the lugs and hoops. When folks get talkin' about original t-rods...I agree w/BigD......be serious, here, eh ?;) When someone asks if my vintage renovations have all original t-rods, I just kinda look down and let out a very long siiiiiiigh.......

But, sans the original strainer it does lose some of it's value 9despite those strainers being poor). However, a kent collector would likely pony up $75 or so for it, I'd imagine...purely because of the condition.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

From atomicmorganic

What would a Kent strainer look like?

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/kent.html

No question that it's a nice drum, I hope I didn't sound like I was putting it down. The condition is excellent and it could be brought back to original condition just by swapping out the strainer with an original. They pop up on eBay now and then.

And yes, a Kent collector (like me) might pony up the $75.00 Jaye mentioned, and then put an original strainer on it. An original strainer in nice shape would likely cost you between $10.00 and $25.00 so you're looking at a $100.00 or more snare (shipping costs add up too).

In this economy, I think $100.00 for this drum is a tad high.

Now if it were an 8 lugger... whoa!

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks guys. Good info. There is an oval or rectangular with rounded corners hole about 1/4x1/8" behind the strainer. It looks like a factory hole. Can't see it unless you look close. I think I will take a picture of both Kent snares and post them in the for sale section. I have too many snares and need to thin the herd. Thanks again for your expertise.

Posted on 15 years ago

atomicorganic!...

The strainer on this drum is a Slingerland "Rapid"... it's actually a nice strainer/throw that Slingerland used on a bunch of different snare drums... also ... the snares themselves "look" like early to mid 60's Ludwig wires as they have the plastic end caps which was a Ludwig exclusive at the time, or they may be a Ludwig copy. All in all...

A nice drum, and one I have never seen from Kent previously. If it were an 8 lugger, yeah... gotta agree with big daddy there! :-D

Tommyp

Posted on 15 years ago

Check out my snare, it's a Modded Kent steel, I call it the Super 18 due to it having 18 tuners!!

It ain't pretty, but it SINGS!!!

[IMG]http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/9932/super1802.jpg[/IMG]

Things to share
Thanks are implied
You are always welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperSpace
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here