Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Kent 8x13 Rack Tom?

I won this on eBay yesterday.

I know nothing about Kent drums and thought I'd start out by asking here.

Is there a Kent Drum expert here that could bring me up to speed on what I have? What kind of wood? Maybe even roughly when it was made?

Posted on 14 years ago

Hello - We'd need to see pictures of the interior to be sure, but your shell is likely maple. From what little we know about Kent badges, the blue & gold badge was the last series they used before switching to import shells. Somewhere in the 60's is the best guess, judging by the tom mount shown.

Although the pictures are a bit dark, the finish looks like silver sparkle, which has aged and tends to turn to a ginger ale color (we call it champagne sparkle).

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 14 years ago

From big daddy

Hello - We'd need to see pictures of the interior to be sure, but your shell is likely maple. From what little we know about Kent badges, the blue & gold badge was the last series they used before switching to import shells. Somewhere in the 60's is the best guess, judging by the tom mount shown.Although the pictures are a bit dark, the finish looks like silver sparkle, which has aged and tends to turn to a ginger ale color (we call it champagne sparkle).

Great stuff!

Appreciate it.

The add said it's Gold Sparkle but I won't be able to check that out until I get it here in BC Canada. I won it - $38 - just yesterday but I don't know when it will be shipped out or how long it will take to get here. I'll take some detailed photos when I get it.

It has some paint spilt on it but I should be able to remove that safely.

edit:

I went here to read up on Kent drums - interesting

http://www.coopersvintagedrums.com/kentmuseum1000.htm

Thanks

Posted on 14 years ago

That website is one of the best resources for info on Kent drums.

The color could be gold sparkle as well, but the pictures make it hard to tell for sure.

Snap some pics in a shaded area during daylight hours once you get it. Also, you can remove a lug and see what color is underneath.

Posted on 14 years ago

My drum arrived yesterday.

Yes - it does look like "Champagne" Sparkle.

Nice little drum for $38!

I'll post some photos when I get it cleaned up.

This is how it arrived........and the last photo is what the shell looked like after hardware removed and a careful cleaning.........the white paint came off pretty easy. I soaked the area with some concentrated Dawn dishwashing soap and it softened right up.

Posted on 14 years ago

So..........it's cleaned up..........but whoa!

Look at some of the Lug offsets!

I've read that some of the Kent drums were turned out a little sloppy...lugs not put on straight or in the right place. This is one of those 'infamous' drums. I'm just lucky I guess.

I even cleaned the old Kent heads that came with the drum and put them back on just to see if I could get some tone. There's no bearing edges (the shell was just pretty much lopped off).

The drums still doesn't sound too bad all considering. I love the Champagne/Gold? sparkle and the cool 'foil' badge. It's a keeper. It's right next to my 1414 58 Gretsch right now.

Don't get too envious now - haah

Posted on 14 years ago

Cleaned up pretty good, but whoa... some of those lugs are way off. For the worst offenders, you can try loosening up the screws holding the lugs in place and re-adjusting them to get them more in line with the hoops.

As for the edges, you can try truing and re-rounding them. There are posts here on how to do that.

Not a bad little tom for $38.00.

Posted on 14 years ago

From big daddy

Cleaned up pretty good, but whoa... some of those lugs are way off. For the worst offenders, you can try loosening up the screws holding the lugs in place and re-adjusting them to get them more in line with the hoops.As for the edges, you can try truing and re-rounding them. There are posts here on how to do that.Not a bad little tom for $38.00.

I did loosen the rims and readjusted - it helped a bit.

This was the result - a little better. The weird thing is - the drum sounds not too bad. However, it does buzz a little through some tuning zones - edges I would assume. But I can get a decent high and a pretty good low tone out of it as it is..........I'm almost thinking if I trim up the edges I may really screw it up - lol

I will take your advise and move the luges a little here and there.

Thanks for the tips. I'll look at the edges posts too.

Posted on 14 years ago

Gary you have a message

Posted on 14 years ago

That looks a lot better. Don't be scared to try some edge work on the drum. You probably can't make it worse than it is. Read all you can, go slow and check your work regularly.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here