Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.05637%

Just scooped up: old Stewart Kit (& co.)

Hey guys,

I picked up an old Stewart kit today....well most of one.

It's a pretty mixed bag...came with a couple cymbal stands and some other junk. We'll see what's salvageable soon.

Looks like my work is cut out for me here - fair amount of rust and pitting on the metal. Missing some parts, of course - hoops MIA, no bass spurs, probably others...

Posted on 12 years ago

Perfect!!..You,ll never have to haul a practise kit around,at least if you dont want to.Set it up and leave it till next time and the price was spot on.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 12 years ago

Ah, a nice pitted dusty mixed drum set! my first kit was a red sparkle and brown ripple stewart and star drum set.

good score! back in the day I would have flipped out for a price like that, nowadays even more so

I need a find like this!

or at least a floortom for the one I still have.

I like Drums...
1963 Ludwig Downbeat Champagne Sparkle
1964 Leedy (Slingerland) Blue n Silver Duco
1964 Ludwig Club Date Sparkling Silver Pearl
1966 Ludwig Super Classic Sparkling Silver Pearl
1968 Gretsch round badge modern jazz orange stain
1972 Slingerland 85N Pop outfit Light Blue Pearl
1976 Ludwig Vistalite clear
1981 Gretsch SSB Gran Prix Rosewood
1987 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Mellow Yellow
1991 Pearl Export Ferrari Red
Posted on 12 years ago

Looks like a kit from the 70`s according to the badge...Nice score!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 12 years ago

From grantro

Looks like a kit from the 70`s according to the badge...Nice score!!Cheers

Yup, later Stewart's, after Star dropped the stencil program to concentrate on making TAMA a success. Star made a massive amount of stencils for many distributors, St. Louis Music Supply being the biggest seller of stencils from the 60s into the early 70s. As Star exited the stencil market, Pearl took over many of the stencil lines and the decline of all the earlier stencil brands began in earnest. Pearl's new production facilities in Taiwan, and later in Korea, pumped out some pure garbage.

The Pearl factory in Japan began to see that TAMA was building a top of the line product and so began the competition for that top spot, which I think Yamaha ended up with. IMHO, Yamaha builds a far superior product to Pearl, and a bit better than TAMA.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 12 years ago

I'd buy that for a dollar, (or $55). Looks like you got some good bits there - both inlayed hoops, speed pedal, bass mounted, l-arm cymbal stand, even a stool. Too bad about miss-matched floor tom, but with some work, it should make a nice little kit. Even though it's fairly common, I've always been a fan of the blue sparkle.

LOGOS - Vinyl Bass Drum Brand Logo Decals
http://www.ebay.ca/usr/barrhavendrum...p2047675.l2559

Barrhaven Drum Guy
Posted on 12 years ago

Nice score! I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Stewies. My first pair of drumsticks were stewarts, as was the bass drum on my first set, which was basically a jellybean set of various MIJs plus a purple swirl Olympic snare. God what I wouldn't give to find that old snare. I know I never sold it.

Georgia Phil Custom Drumworks
https://www.GeorgiaPhil.com

Drum Wrap, Drum Heads, Drum Accessories
https://www.StuffForDrummers.com
Posted on 12 years ago

Alright....well I will get back to you guys when this puppy gets cleaned up, then. I bet she cleans up real nice, but not necessarily quickly. : )

Posted on 12 years ago

Nice score! Nothing wrong with that kit...Under the dust that wrap looks great. Jumping2

Have fun.

Tung oil rubbed into the mahogany does a great job of bringing out the lovely mahogany grain and improving resonance on the old shells.

Cheers!

-kellyj

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here