Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

just picked these up today

Cool MIJ set w/ matching snare. Anyone know anything about these other than they were made in japan? They have the same metal hoops as my 67 stars and the same lugs as my 60s stewart. shells and covering are excellent, only thing its missing the bar mount for the bass drum... im sure finding one would be no problem. Any info is appreciated.

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi Your set is yes 1960s MIJ set. The shells look 9 ply to me and are better then the 4 ply with rings.By the badges[round black ones] on the floor tom and bass they should say STAR on them.The lugs are copys of slingerland drums..The t-rods and claws are Star also..The color i know of its called Root Beer pearl,a some what rare color to come by..You are lucky to have both bass drum rims,fining one would be a hard thing to do... Your set is a nice looking one By the way I have the rail mount that you need just need to know the spaceing of the holes...Also have the parts you emailed me about..Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

They are Star. I have a three/four ply snare shell I got not two weeks ago. Here we go folks, now there will be a rash of this finish showing up. Mine came with a stencil badge--Majestic Semi-Pro. That is the designation the distributor used later on for the series of shells they introduced with the thin ply shells and re-rings. Last summer I picked up a kit for my son off CL. It was the Majestic Deluxxe. 20-12-12-14 snare 14. The floor tom is a Semi-Pro model and is clearly a later shell, 3 ply with rings, and it sounds fantastic. This snare is a really thin shell, and is only marginal at the moment. I am going to restore to the best of my ability, but the finish is compromised underneath. The shell has a bit of mold on it and I may have to strip the wrap off to clean it up.

Anyway, there we have it, and "new" wrap color, and we are in for a rash of it niw. Seems every time two of a particular wrps show up here, all of a sudden it coms out of the woodwork. Let's see if more of this cool wrap comes down from the attics. It's almost spooky, as if the collector world watches up to see what the next cool thing is, then go searching to find more of it.......electricit

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

So true.Look at the orange thats surfaced lately.It makes me wonder just how many of these kits are still in basements and attics.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

Nice catch. Yes - the wrap was called 'Fibre gold pearl' (in the late 60s) and lateron 'Fibre gold' (in the early 70s).

Can you, please, make a close-up pic of the (black?) round badge at the floor tom?

If the tom bracket still exists: can you show us a pic of it as well?

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 14 years ago

Very nice ... Thanks 4 sharing.

Posted on 14 years ago

Oh, and those badges I'll bet are blue, not black. That is typical for this badge.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Cool wrap.

Posted on 14 years ago

thanks guys yes the badge is blue,looks black in picture and heres the tom bracket pic.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here