Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Just how accurate are '63-'68 Ludwig serial numbers?

Do you trust that they at the very least, would get the year right (Using a chart)?

Bopworks Hickory Jazz Drumsticks
http://www.youtube.com/user/mgimino
Posted on 16 years ago

There are some discrepancies, but, generally speaking, the badge charts are fairly accurate. Often, the drums are ink-stamped on the insides of the shells and badge numbers within a given range correspond to that year. Over the years I have been discussing drums online, if there was a discrepancy, then someone would inevitably report it and the information updated...so, it's fairly accurate by now.:2Cents:

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

From O-Lugs

There are some discrepancies, but, generally speaking, the badge charts are fairly accurate. Often, the drums are ink-stamped on the insides of the shells and badge numbers within a given range correspond to that year. Over the years I have been discussing drums online, if there was a discrepancy, then someone would inevitably report it and the information updated...so, it's fairly accurate by now.:2Cents:

I'd like to thank you for what must have been a lot of work, gathering the information on this topic. I can't believe how many times I've referred to that when checking out drums.

Thanks! :)

Mike

Posted on 16 years ago

I can't take any credit for that. That's our Webmaster (David)!

But I, too, will add my own thanks....

THANKS!!!

:)

Posted on 16 years ago

I believe it's pretty accurate. My friend and I have wondered about my ringo set. The badges fall in the 270XXX range, drums have white paint and correct oyster finish. The rail mount has the 70's transistion logo on it and the front that came with the set was a transistion 1970's logo head.

there is a date stamp in the floor tom of Dec. 22 196(?)! I think it says 1968 or it looks that way to me. Logic would say that it was a six but those later transistion things lead me to believe the shells were built in 1966 then they sat on a shelf. The hardware would have been added in 1968 explaining the rail and the front head. If only i could read that last number for sure! It is pretty smudged! You never know with Ludwig!

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

There's a very interesting article about Ludwig serial numbers and datestamps here: http://www.vintagedrum.com/ludwig_serials.htm

Posted on 16 years ago

I suppose what Mr. Ingberman is saying is true. On the other hand, it really doesn't matter to me, because collecting a vintage drum KIT is all about things that match. I look for close badge number sequences and date stamps within a few months (at the most). I completely understand how some drums made in late 1966 could end up being used with drums from early 1967, but, when it comes to drums that are both wide-ranging date-stamps AND show a wide discrepancy in badge numbers, then, I'll leave that for Ned to ferret out and explain. I'm still not going to collect a kit with such discrepancies.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here