Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Just broke my 400

Help ! The "wings" on the P-85 throwoff just broke off on my 1969 Ludwig 400 snare. Anybody know where I could get an authentic replacement, or do I have to keep watching ebay ? I'm in England, but any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Having just looked around the net I'm a bit mystified as to whether my strainer is original/standard. It is a black face P-85 but there are numerous holes where the strainer cord is tensioned. Most of the other black face P-85s appear only to have two holes to secure the cord - I have twelve - ???

Here is a pic,

http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2993&stc=1&d=1203779585

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Being that your drum is a 1969 drum, it's very possible that you have an original early P-85. I also have a 1969 Supra (Jan. 7th) and it has a P-83. What is the date of your drum?

The multiple holes thing is an earlier idea that was used in the application of lacing snare wires. Why they did it on a die-cast P-85 I'll never know but that's the way it was. I think they discontinued the use of that style sometime in the 70s.

Where can you get a replacement? Well, I think I read that the hole patterns for the P-83, P-85 and the new "Millenium" throwoff (P-86) are all interchangeable, so, if you are in a hurry, then you can probably get a new P-86 and then watch Ebay until you can find a proper replacement for your P-85.

Be thankful that you have some "extra" holes to lace the cord. If it had been a newer one, you'd be in a worse pickle.

The good news is that P-85s are fairly common and still inexpensive. To find the exact right version might take a little time to find, but it shouldn't be a problem at all to find just any P-85.

:2Cents:

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks, O-Lugs. Regarding the date stamp, was it put in any particular place in the shell ? I've had a look through the clear head, I haven't taken it off, but can't see a date.

Thanks again, looks like I might be able to source a "holy" P-85 in the US via the Bay.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here