Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Just bought my tickets! Pat Metheny "Orchestrion"

-should be WILD!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIZ2Ldrr5ok[/ame]

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

Very Cool Stuff!:D

A friend out in CA, Napa valley - just sent me this link on Tues. about this.

I have to see where he's playing in the eastern U.S.

http://www.patmetheny.com/orchestrioninfo/http://www.patmetheny.com/orchestrioninfo/

I was exposed to this technology back in the '70s at I motor inn that I played at. The house entertainer had a Hammond organ wired with magnetic relays to control an acoustic piano and assorted percussion / drums.

In the pneumatic realm - while roadie-ing for a band as a 14-15 year old I had the chance to monkey w/ a Wurlitzer Theater organ - man, that thing had everything - kick & snare, cymbals, tambourine, maracas, castanets, glockenspiel, marimba... plus sound effects - birds, trains, thunder sheet... plus those mighty PIPES! Just amazing. Originally used for silent movies i think.

Pat's onto something. Yet another example of how a musician, sticking to their creative path, can forge new territory. ~ In these days of so much digital, this is very refreshing :)

Thanks for posting O

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 14 years ago

You're welcome! Thanks for responding! I am a big PM fan -always have been. I think this will be unlike anything I have ever seen/experienced before in a concert setting. I am looking forward to it!

Posted on 14 years ago

I think "First Circle" is probably my favorite - I caught that tour - Absolutely brilliant!!!The Band

This is a later tour - missing Pedro Aznar CryBaby - but Cool1 nevertheless...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xm0JYojAks&feature=related[/ame]

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 14 years ago

What an awesome band! Thanks for sharing that one! I plan on giving a full report, here, after I see the Orchestrion concert, so stay tuned! Car Driving2

Posted on 14 years ago

Okay...I've been meaning to post a followup to the OP...

Last Friday evening, my wife and I went to see the Orchestrion and Pat Metheny.

One word:

"WOW!"

I have seen lots of performances over the years -LOTS of them. I can most assuredly tell you all that I have never seen or experienced anything quite like this before. I knew it was going to be diifferent, but this was something on a completely different level.

The show started out with Pat playing a solo guitar piece. Then he played to an automated finger bell thing (part of the orchestrion). The main part of the stage was veiled in mysterious curtains and only a few of the smaller items were exposed...initially.

The third tune, he brought out the famous "Picasso" guitar and played one of the most incredible-sounding things I have ever heard -completely unlike anything I could have imagined.

At the end of that tune, the curtains were raised and there it was...The Orchestrion. There was a unified *GASP!* as it was revealed.

I could go on with what happened thereafter, but it would become a novel in no time!

Whether or not you are a "jazz" fan or a PM fan or a guitar fan or technology geek...or just a fan of incredible things...if you go to see this show, you simply will be amazed and completely blown away.

It was the best money I have spent in years. It fed my soul! I can't recommend this enough!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here