Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Just a guess?

If a 50-60,s kit in good shape is worth 1500 for arguments sake,what do you think it will be worth 20 years from now,if its in similar condition?....What im trying to determine is whether or not we have a wise INVESTMENT here,as well as a bloody nice drum setHmmmm

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 17 years ago

Drums may (and often do) go up in value...they can be good investments if you consider that you get to refurbish, display and play them. There are other things that can bring a higher return, however. Most of the time, when I sell something from my collection, it brings in a lot more than I paid for it over the last 10 years...but I would have done better buying land, gold or stock in Apple...

Posted on 17 years ago

I look at it less as investment and more of a way to finance my collecting hobby. I don't really accumulate anyhow, but buying and selling judiciously can turn a profit or at least finance the fun of it all.

It's true that a real sharp could invest far more wisely. That of course assumes that they know what they're doing. I for instance, wouldn't know what i was doing with legit investments, so for me, maybe vintage drums are a better investment, or rather a better-informed one.

Posted on 17 years ago

Value in investing in collectables is realized by rarity value and growth in the investor constituency. Ask anyone who bought a 60s or 70s muscle car twenty years ago. Those that were well kept have appreciated at least 10 times. They aren't making any more Super Cuda's and many more people want them today then 20 years ago.

Vintage musical instruments have similar characteristics. The risk is in whether or not people will still care in 20 years or so. On this it is a guess. I guess that the fascination with nostalgia is a staple in how people look at the world. There is unlikely to be any technological advances in drumming and I think the rarity value will only increase.

2 cents worth.

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago

All good points.Most of us seem to want to collect what we can play [live].I,ve seen snare drums from 20,s-40,s just sit on ebay because a lot of us cant play these with the current music of today.So maybe i,ve answered my own question?...It seems the interest is in drum gear from the mid 50,s to present day,anything before that could be for display purpose,with the exception of a few Luddy snares.....I just dont know what to think about this,so i,ll just keep enjoying playing my vintage gear knowing they will out last me for sure,and hopefully the new owners 40 yrs from now will have a real treasure to enjoy.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 17 years ago

I also wonder whether older drums will just fall from favor as their enthusiasts age. The whole thing is primarily driven by nostalgia - guys wanting what they couldn't have as kids. Right now that means 60s drums for the most part. Older than that and the number of interested buyers dwindle, perhaps (to be blunt) because the older guys are dieing off or paying different bills these days.

Gotta wonder if the current demand for 60s stuff will sustain itself once the boomers are gone. I'm guessing it won't, but will it be replaced by 70s/80s stuff? I kind of doubt it.

There will always be some collectors that are into historically significant stuff, even if it doesn't coincide with their era, but I can't imagine the current market holding together in say 25 years when the numbers shrink.

Posted on 17 years ago

I think all quality made musical instruments will go up in value. There is just something amazing that happens to the wood that you CANNOT get in a new instrument. Plus, a lot of musicians, like me (and probably most of the people on this vintage drum forum), are VERY inspired by the "vibe" and "soul" of a historic instrument and I am not reliving my childhood, I am 27. My 2 cents.. Interesting discussion.

Posted on 17 years ago

I hope its players like you that will be enjoying these drums when im gone.I was touring with the drums im talking about long before you were born,so i thank you for seeing what we see at such a young ageCool

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here