Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

June 30, 2008 - Reflection - Update

It will be 3 years for this forum on Aug 1....

I thought a little reflection was in order on what has happened and where it is going...

First, thanks to everyone for keeping this a normal place! You will see our member count is growing rapidly at an average of 50 new members per month.

Then you look at the post count which is much smaller then most forums with less members...

Why is this? Well, we are sticking to the business at hand and the community is not like others because of the constant influx of new members...

When forums have very slow growth then the regulars begin creating topics that really are just to up post counts... I can't tell you how many times I have seen the "I hit 1000 posts"...

When there is not much to really say or new people are not entering the mix with new questions and challenging the main members then you get the constant picking apart of Ebay auctions, banter amongst the members when someone challenges one of them, personal pats on the back and the list goes on....

So this is a major thanks for everyone sticking to the topic of vintage drums and their history and remaining cordial and supportive of new people that have no clue about vintage drums...

This forum started because of the main web site having so much traffic, with that tons of emails and I just could not answer them all and then when I did the same question would come up in a few days, so the forum is a great search tool for people with the same questions to get quick answers..

So, the thing is people want quick answer! Yes, people want it so quick they will go to every forum and web site and ask the same question to see who answers... Then when they get the answer they try to get another answer to confirm the first answer.

I call this the "I Second That" post, which I will do here, because it makes the new person more comfortable knowing that two people agree.

I get emails and I know other people on this forum get emails and then answer the question and a few days later they post the same question on another forum.

The thing about this forum is that it is supported by many people in the business and they send us their customers who have questions and need help that we can offer. That plus the main web site and you get constant membership that will keep growing at a super fast rate.

So the regulars really have time to answer the questions and not be concerned about their "Status" on the forum and how often they create posts...

Your all important to me and here is a big pat on the back to all of you!!

Hey this is my 2,038 post, Oh goodie...

Any one second that!

David

( If this offends anyone or any other forums, sorry, just stating my opinion on forums and how they turn in to what they do. There are plenty of examples of forums that have imploded, split up members, or closed due to lack of membership. There are also forums that are closed to outsiders, restricted or no registration available, they are really just a boat sitting in the water with no engine and just the people inside trying to keep it moving. hence the topic above.)

Posted on 16 years ago

Congratulations again David. Seeing as we are growing, maybe we should bump this again.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=4497

Also can anyone show me how you can highlight a single word that links to a page. If I could do that, I'd be a happy man.

Gary

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

I can help with the creating a link in a post...

As I type this and want to link...

I take this text that I want to link and highlight it with the

cursor...

Then in the row of buttons at the top of the post click on the world

with the chain link...

A box will open...

Usually I will have another window open with the link and copy and paste it in there...

That is it...

Now let me add a few graphics to help..

Thanks for the link!

David

2 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Hello,

I just wanted to add a little to this post so the outside world understands that I have no personal issues with these other forums.. The same thing goes for non-drum related forums as well, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of why in many cases forums have so many troubles and do not stay around long.

Also, forums are what they are and what they become are just a fact of Internet life. I'm not saying they are bad or do no good to help the community they are in.

If the members are comfortable with the forum, then that is all that matters.

So if you belong to other forums, no worries! Enjoy them and have fun..

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Let's see if this works

David, as always, you da man.

Gary

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here