Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

John Grey Snare Throw

I am looking for some help with this snare throw from a john grey snare.

As you can see in the attached photos the bottom part has snapped and I dont have the part. I have seen pictures and it extends down to have a couple of bends and then a flat peice with 2 holes for the string.

If anyone had this piece (or a whole throw off) I would like to buy it, but I think these are in short supply so I recon I will have to make my own part. Would anyone be willing to send photos and some measurements?

[Attachment: 120562]

[Attachment: 120563]

2 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

Ugh...I have two John Grey snares with those throw offs, I personally hate them. Cool look, but break easily. Both of mine are broke/not working. One of them has the lever broken off, super common for these types of strainers (why you rarely see that style anymore). The other one has some sort of internal issue.

You can try asking the John Grey Facebook group, someone on there might have a working one for sale. If you find one, it most likely will be in England, as they're common on that side of the pond.

Despite my dislike for those strainers, I love the snares themselves. Both are my favorite 6 lug snares. Love the lugs, low profile die cast hoops, slotted tension rods, etc. I have birch Broadway and a rare COB Broadway. The COB is currently stripped down for some TLC.

Cheers.

2 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

I went to a clock repair shop that had a lot of antique experience. They helped me out. Might be worth a try.

Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks for the replies. The clock repair place is a good idea.

If you still have that snare in pieces would it be possible to get a close up photo of the snare throw? if possible with one from the back?

Posted on 6 years ago

Hello try nick hopkins or drumattic. Both as you know are in the UK.

Posted on 6 years ago

I also had a Great transaction with Drum Spares Limited in London some years ago regarding a John Grey drum key.

Jack Polubinski was my contact there:

Drum Spares Limited

Registered Office:

60 Brunswick Road, London W5 1AF, United Kingdom

TEL: 079 8331 3999 (INT +44 79 8331 3999)

FAX: 020 8991 1888 (INT +44 20 8991 1888)

This was in 2010 .... I have no idea if they are still an ongoing business or not today, but my dealing with them was top-notch..!!

Good Luck with your search..!!

Kevin
Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks for the help. There is nothing on Drumattic or the Nick Hopkins websites, I will try out Drum Spares.

Posted on 6 years ago

The information above is very good to me, thanks for sharing!

hotmail login sign up
Posted on 6 years ago

From seantdrums

Hello try nick hopkins or drumattic. Both as you know are in the UK.

Yeah, I thought you might know for sure.

Cheers.

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here