Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

John Grey & Sons Snare Restoration

I bought this off Ebay & have been restoring it for about a year or more. What took so long? Well, the shell was out of round, so i took out the rerings & rotated them 90? to their original position & re-glued them back in. I also decided a Birdseye veneer would look cool, so I added that on top of the original steambent shell. The modern hoops and heads that came on the drum from the seller were added by the previous owner because of the metric sized heads, so i got the original single flanged hoops & clips, then made wood flesh hoops to correct size, then tucked raw calfskins (first time tucking myself!). Then at the last minute before refinishing the shell, i decided to make up a red stain (from artist oil colors) to contrast the shell with the polished solid brass hardware. So I did it again; I bastardized a 'vintage original' into a Tbone Vintage Restoration - (sorry purists!) You've gotta realize I came very close to throwing this thing away MANY times in the last year or so, not being sure I'd finish it.

Anyway, here she is: (original drum pictured first)

3 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

Talk about your BASIC strainer!! This BUTT also does some work!

And the chrome knob on the butt is the ONLY not original hardware piece - it didn't coe with the drum & I don't even know what the original looks like - I tapped & added a threaded insrt to use this vintage knob off of another drum, & it works correctly.

3 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

BTW, I can find NO info on this drum; if anybody has any info, please post it.

Thanks!

3 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

Hey Tbone, can I use that badge image for the site?

I would probably strip out the background and center hole, and still give the credit.

I have to say your work is not restoration, but "RestoCreation"

You can coin that word if you want.

Thanks for adding it to the forum

David

Posted on 17 years ago

David, sure, I was going to offer anyway since I didn't see that one in your stash.

Thanks,

TV

Posted on 17 years ago

It looks nice! Also David I like that phrase restocreation.

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here