Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

John Grey & Sons Piccolo Snare Drum?

This is for sale locally. 4x14 maple with tone control and stick chopper hoops. I looked this up and apparently John Grey & Sons' flagship snare was called a Broadway, but this isn't one of those.

Anyone ever see this snare? If so, how versatile is it tuning-wise? Is it close to a typical 4x14 piccolo? I'm looking for a specialty/quirky snare that will work every now and again in a 60s funk/soul/jazz context. What would be a reasonable offer? The badge is missing but everything else is present and original.

Thanks.

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Hy

This is either a Tromsa or Trowa not sure. But definetly a german snare drum;-)

The strainer is mostly used on Tromsa snare drums from the 60s era! In my country the go for about 60 to 120 Euro - it depends on the state they are in!

regards

Christian

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks Christian!

The ad lists it as a John Grey, but the lack of badge explains that. I googled it and it looks like it could be a Tromsa. I suppose I can swap out the hoops if I don't like the sound (going to go look at it Monday), but luckily the strainer is in good shape. I have a feeling I'd have to drill if/when it goes bad.

Wrap and buttplate are good as well. All that considered, would $100 USD be a fair offer? Thanks.

Posted on 8 years ago

Do you realize it a has single tension lugs; thus having little possibility of varying the tension of the batter and reso seperately?

Vintage and custom drum projects:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...2305272732%3A6
Posted on 8 years ago

Like bartw says it´s single tension you should also keep that in mind. The shell of the snare is very surley beech! I am sure it´s a Tromsa! We have to wait till George (Father42) chimes in here, let´s see what he says:-) but it´s no John Grey thats for sure!

regards

Christian

Posted on 8 years ago

Have a look here

http://www.ekki.bplaced.de/tromsa/tromsa_pic/tromsa2015_06.jpg

regards

Christian

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks all! I knew single tension might limit it a bit but I've never played a single tension snare and figured it may be able to do a couple of things. Like I said, I'm wondering if it'd be a cool niche snare with at least a usable range to nail something a little different than an average wood snare (wouldn't use it as a main). For a price in the $100-$125 range, I thought it could be worth adding to the stash. I only have 3 snares at the moment and only 1 wood.

Posted on 8 years ago

These snares are normaly quite dark and dry in sound!

regards

Christian

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here