Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Jazz Fest Snare & Club Date Luggs

Hi all, I'm doing a cleaning on a set of 66 Club Dates and a Jazz Fest snare. My question is about the inside of the lugs, it seems Ludwig did not put a foam piece or any felt inside these lugs (the bass drum had tape around the spring, I left those alone) like they did in the Super Classics and Standards. So I did the mounted tom and put felt pieces inside each lug, although the spring is bent by the contour of the lug it still fit fine. Now I'm into the snare and again no felt or sponge. I'm thinking put in a piece of felt but thought I'd ask the question here first. Does anybody have an opinion on this? Done a cleaning and put felt in?

1965 Ludwig Super Classic WMP (22-13-16)
1965 Club Date/Downbeat Combo Blue Sparkle
Cleveland Rogers COB Powertone snare
1965 Ludwig Supra Snare
Posted on 11 years ago

If it bothers you to not have it then, it's ok to put felt inside. I usually don't in my Vintage Wfl's Ludwig's. But it is Ok to do so.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 11 years ago

I just put felt in a 4 piece (13, 14, 16, 20) early 70's Ludwig lugs today. The sponge piece that was in there was not good. Not positive if it was original or not.

Curtis

Posted on 11 years ago

This is a matter of personal preference and everyone will have their own opinions on what to do. For me, if I have the lugs off a shell, I put in some felt as part of the rebuild. I started doing this after cleaning up a snare I just bought only to find it was buzzing like crazy from a couple of the lugs. Now it's just part of my routine, I keep a sheet of felt in my drum tool bin. It doesn't take much effort and it's totally reversible. No harm, no foul.

Posted on 11 years ago

Yep. If you don't pack the lugs they can buzz. I pack with cotton wool.

Posted on 11 years ago

I have used cotton pads ( used for makeup removal) I like the square ones. You can find them at drug stores and sometimes the dollar store.

Btw I think the tape on clubdate bass drums and floor toms are actually holding two regular springs together.

I like Drums...
1963 Ludwig Downbeat Champagne Sparkle
1964 Leedy (Slingerland) Blue n Silver Duco
1964 Ludwig Club Date Sparkling Silver Pearl
1966 Ludwig Super Classic Sparkling Silver Pearl
1968 Gretsch round badge modern jazz orange stain
1972 Slingerland 85N Pop outfit Light Blue Pearl
1976 Ludwig Vistalite clear
1981 Gretsch SSB Gran Prix Rosewood
1987 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Mellow Yellow
1991 Pearl Export Ferrari Red
Posted on 11 years ago