Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Jan 27, 2011 - Forum Update

Sorry everyone. The forum was not the entry point, but a victim to the Cyber-Hackers. There were 5 web sites on the old server.

We are pretty certain where they entered and installing extra security.

Of course there is no guarantee. Any web site on the Internet can be hacked no matter how much security they have.

We just need to be ready with back-ups and saving the files.

This was one of the worst I have ever experienced and decided after the attack happened to move to another server. (I have been thinking about this for at least 4 months)

This just forced the issue and put our backs to the wall.

I restructured the sites on different servers based on traffic and resources, so we will see what happens.

Report any problems to me directly. Please do not post them. [email]vsd@vintagedrumguide.com[/email]

Thanks for hanging in there!

David

Posted on 13 years ago

Thank you o' mighty Webmaster! That was one wild hack!

Cheers, BigE

Posted on 13 years ago

Keep up the great work David! I certainly missed the VDF!!! I'm glad we're back up and running. Do you feel if any personal information was hacked? Hopefully, all info, pics, etc. were recovered.

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 13 years ago

In regards to the forum there are no addresses, phone numbers or other data stored in the system. If there was something in a PM that is another story, but I delete them in my user control panel.

This particular hack took on new dimension. It was not done to gather information, but to disable the site and place their propaganda on the home pages. In the process also disable the server control panel and remove all FTP and normal server access.

That server is toast and needs to be reformatted. Hence all data needs to be erased. I will be closing that hosting company account

Everything was recovered and backed up in two spots.

The forum and database get regular back-ups

David

Posted on 13 years ago

I'm glad you got things under control so quickly. It was pretty lame seeing that B.S.

crying2-07

Player54
Posted on 13 years ago

O-lugs sent me an email!

I was selling items on eBay, checked in on the forum, went back to work.

About 20 mins later I checked my email and there was O-lugs email.

Usually I can work quicker, but the server lost all back-end control and I'm not familiar with SSH. So I rely on a programmer that handles this kind of stuff.

He worked it out on the phone and stopped the DNS services.

It would have been faster for the restore, but he has other customers.

David

I researched the hackers, they have hit thousands of web sites and pride themselves on their success!

Posted on 13 years ago

glad its all back up and running, great job on the quick turnaround!

Clapping Happy2

Posted on 13 years ago

When I first visited the day it went down the hacker had made a reference to I guess the VDF members “not having anything better to do” and I couldn’t get over the irony of that statement when the hacker had nothing better to do than work hard on messing up a very informative web forum. What a true waste of the hackers intelligents!

DOH

“In fact your pedal extremities are a bit obnoxious”. – Fats Waller
Posted on 13 years ago

I was in some potential purchase negotiations on this site . As I went to contact to finalize an offer. The site was a morroccan flag waving garbled mess that seemed to be running something as I looked. . .. I BAILED !!!! .

David was gracious enough to help me contact the seller out side of the crashed site. It worked . . Help2

David you are the best and I appreciate ALL of your efforts for me personally AND for this fantastic Web site ! ! !

Joe Mekler

joeyboom

flowers2

Keep em Flying ! ✈️
Posted on 13 years ago

From Joeyboom

I was in some potential purchase negotiations on this site . As I went to contact to finalize an offer. The site was a morroccan flag waving garbled mess that seemed to be running something as I looked. . .. I BAILED !!!! . David was gracious enough to help me contact the seller out side of the crashed site. It worked . . Help2 David you are the best and I appreciate ALL of your efforts for me personally AND for this fantastic Web site ! ! !Joe Meklerjoeyboomflowers2

Joe, are you the proud owner??

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here