Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Jammin' Sam? Boooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How lame!

I just called them to place an order for a pair of hoop inlays and their threaded 7/16" eyelets. To the best of my knowledge, they are the only ones that carry threaded 7/16" eyelets.

Anyway, the guy on the phone was real stand-offish. He said that they only sell the threaded 7/16" eyelets with drum wraps, and that hoop inlays don't count. He also said, because I had never ordered from them before, that they wouldn't be able to sell me just the hoop inlays either.

So, basically because I am a new (potential) customer, I can't get what I need, even though they sell it? How does one get to be a customer if they put limits on what you can buy initially (i.e. minimum order quantities).

Well, they won't ever have to worry about having me as a customer, because I will NEVER call them again.

I've got projects to do and money to spend. I'll happily take that money elsewhere.

Posted on 11 years ago

Well, I've had good luck with Sam... but haven't ever tried a small order like you mentioned. There has been a couple of times I've only ordered one piece of wrap for one drum, but that was after I was already doing business with him.

You are correct about him being the only one with the 7/16" machined threaded grommets! I've looked all over trying to find them, because quite frankly I wish I could just always keep them in stock. And yes, I was aware that he only sells them when you order his wrap, and usually only one per shell. The only time I ever got him to budge off of that is when I was doing some marching drums that actually had more than one breather hole...

Anyway, I just thought I'd chime in here...

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 11 years ago

I've been doing business with Sam for decades now! Never an issue. However, as mentioned, my first order was for wrap for a complete kit. Still, I don't see why it would matter what you order. There must be a reason... I'd sure like to know!

As to those 7/16" threaded eyelets, yes, he's the only game in town.

Mark

Posted on 11 years ago

I have ordered once from him and it was a pleasent exprience but like the others I was ordering wrap for a kit. I asked him if he would throw in a small peice of the hi bond tape for mounting a badge, he did not want to at first but I talked him in to "selling me a 6" peice. Over all , he was a nice guy but does seem to have some strict policies. I dont blame you one bit for your reaction, I am the same way, if you dont want my business then someone else will.

I have had strangers walk into my shop and ask for a hing. If I have the right one, its theirs, free. Just makes sense, that guy could come back a month later and order a kitchen.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago

From jccabinets

...I have had strangers walk into my shop and ask for a hing. If I have the right one, its theirs, free. Just makes sense, that guy could come back a month later and order a kitchen.

Jeff, this hits the nail right on the head! As many on here can attest, I've many-a-time sent out a small piece of wrap for a patch, a badge, or some other small part for either nothing or little-to-nothing, and it has paid off! And even if it don't pay-off business-wise, I've usually gained another friend. But, maybe Sam's been burnt some and that's why he sticks with his strict policies (at least until he gets to know you). I don't know... I just have had good dealings with him. Shoot, he's even called me a few times, just to see if I'm needing anything on current projects. Now, I know that call is more of a "sales" attempt on his part that a "friendship" call, but it still has always made me feel good about dealing with him. He's even talked to my wife a time or two...

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 11 years ago

I have only bought wrap from him once. It was for a 7X13 snare and I also bought a threaded eyelet, no problems at all. . . .James

Posted on 11 years ago

I've bought from them once or twice, got bad vibes both times. Probably won't call them again...

Posted on 11 years ago

Piggie Back with someone posting a large order.

Posted on 11 years ago

I just bought some stuff from Sam and it was all good. He was real nice and helpful on the phone, sent me just what I ordered. I will do business with him again.

Posted on 11 years ago

I don't know about the grommet, but for wrap orders in any size and shape, Precision is very easy to work with.

When they did my hoops they slit my old wrap scraps to fit the groove precisely- without charge.

I would not, and will not, hesitate to work with them again.

As a former custom guitar maker, I know the value of customer service. That is why I enjoyed as many repeat customers as new ones.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here