Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

J E Longcluse Ltd Snare Drum

I have purchased a 14 X 5 wood snare for restoration. The badge shows it is made by (or is it supplied by?), J E Longcluse, 371 Essex Road, London N1. I have restored the shell but the hardware has long since past its best. I can't tell if the lugs were originally chrome but the single hoops were. I am considering rechroming but can't find anyone willing to do this. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Furthermore, there is one tension rod and claw missing and I am endeavouring to find a replacement but without much luck.

Also, modern heads do not fit the drum as the single hoops will not settle on the hoop of the head so I need to find the older style heads where the head is lapped via the inside of their hoops.

I am relying on the good grace of others to point me in the right direction for me to get the metalwork rechromed and to find a supplier who can provide some heads.

Finally, I have been unable to trace any history on Longcluse drums for interest and as well as for practical reasons as I don't know what type of snares were used on the drum originally. If anyone can help with any of the above, it would be very welcome. Many thanks

Posted on 16 years ago

Can you post a few pictures?

For researching why not try your local library. You can research for companies that operated in that area, I would say it would be pre WW2 or pre 1929. So to research for companies around those time periods would be a start.

You can also try the local tax offices around those same time periods. Tax records are forever and usually the most accurate.

Also, local Historic groups would have some information about the companies that would have had an economic effect on that community. Old photos of a town center usually exist that can shed light.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here