Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

It must be the "buzz" here

Because no other forum in North America gives a rats ass about MIJ DRUMS!!.There is almost a mockery made of these old tubs across the board.No one wants them,no one likes them,or appreciates them,or feel they are worthy...except here..So,is it the buzz going around here that peaks your interest?

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 13 years ago

In my experience no, I don't get my interest in japanese drums from other people. My First ''real'' kit, or well, proper-sized kit, was a WMP stewart kit that I bought on Craigslist. I was around 9-10 yrs old at the time, so it was my dad who found the set on the net. I was just getting into old drums, being given and old Ludwig tom and some old A's, plus I was into Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa. It was WMP, I recognised the color and my dad hopped in the car and drove up to get them. We knew absolutely nothing about them, except they looked real old and cool, and that they where vintage. The next year after that, we rescued and old beat-up Gretsch kit, then I joined the forum and learned so much about MIJ and drums in general. I've really been into MIJ drums since then. Still have that kit. Here's a few pics from when I first got them.

[Attachment: 31416]

[Attachment: 31417]

[Attachment: 31418]

[Attachment: 31419]

[Attachment: 31420]

So, thats my story/opinion, but I'm young and foolish. Let's hear what the experts have to say.

Posted on 13 years ago

Some are good, some are not so good. Among the turds there are gems to be found. I've had a few MIJ kits in my younger days, most were junk, but there was one that was a knockoff (more like a rip off) of my old Slingy kit. looking at them and hearing them, you couldn't tell the difference. That was a gem. Wish I still had both kits.

Posted on 13 years ago

Just like JR says, some are best used for firewood... however...

My folks bought my first kit for me. A brand new gold sparkle Crown four piece. It came with just about the worst cymbals you could imagine. I still remember mowing lawns to get a set of Sears cymbals out of the catalog... those were so 'much' better. heh heh heh

After it came a Ludwig Standard and then a WMP Slingerland then a Camco. I really wasn't in the MIJ kit mood until they started falling in my lap a couple years ago ('stalking me' I think is how I termed it).

I have three NICE MIJ kits, a Royal Star, a Pearl and a still un-restored but complete Crest (thanks to Mikey). I hope to finish the Crest this summer. I like the trick wraps on 'em frankly. I've always been a sucker for an outlandish wrap. You can see pix of mine in different threads on this forum or on my website (link in my sig).

I belong to most of the other forums (except the Pearl Drummers Forum, I was refused membership there... kinda like getting banned from a bar you've never set foot in) and while the other forums do indeed have some serious percussion convo's going on, I think there is a better 'mix' here on this one. Much more and better information and folks willing to help you.

And besides, if you mention a MIJ entry level kit on another forum, they may think you're referring to something like the entry level stuff nowadays... not the 'good' stuff we discuss here.

fishwaltz
Posted on 13 years ago

There is a kitschy-cool appeal to MIJ drums, especially in the wilder finishes. Plus, there is nostalgic appeal for us Baby Boomers, as well as the fact that some sound downright cool, in a dead, funky sort of way. Some of them, like the early 70's Yamaha's, were actually made really well and are eminently usable in pro situations.

And still others just like to root for the underdog. ;)

JR Frondelli
www.frondelli.com
www.dbmproaudio.com

Mediocre is the new "good"
Posted on 13 years ago

I think because if it`s a drum and it`s vintage,...that`s why we come heare !! I could pick on US construction all day,..cuz I`m a Sonor Guy !! But when all`s said and done,...If it`s vintage and a drum or related, Welcome here !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

I have a Yamaha Hi-Hat from the early 90`s,...it`s well built , sturdy, and can be configured in any desireable position you could imagine. It`s built like an Army Tank and is quiet and user friendly,...I`ll put up against any Hi-Hat made for comparison !!

Posted on 13 years ago

Take a look at it !!

2 attachments

Posted on 13 years ago

And that`s just to clap two cowbells together !!

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here