Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Issues with Site

Lately I've been having problems accessing this Site.

Many times, I'm getting the response "Server too busy to use right now? Hmmm?

Also, I tried uploading a picture with a 38KB file size, and an error came up, stated that I exceeded the maximum allowable file size for this site, which is only 19.5KB?

Would like to see these issues addressed in the future.

Thanks, Mark

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks Mark, I noticed that server busy yesterday and did not check into it yet. We are on a shared server and I will contact the server Admin.

In regards to the file size that is an easy fix, the image must have been something other then a .jpg

I can set the attachment size to anything, what specific image extension were you trying to upload??

Let me know which file extension.

Also I moved your post to this section.

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Hi David, Thank you for your reply, and I apologize for posting my questions in the wrong place on this forum.

In regards to the Image I was trying to upload, it was a digital picture of a drumset that I tried loading directly from my Digital Cam.

All appeared to go well with uploading the image where the little camera Icon is, then it asked for a file name, I just entered "Drum Set" in the space, tried uploading, and that's when I got the error message stating that my file size of 38KB was too large, and the max file size for the forum was 19.5KB.

I'm certainly no whiz at doing stuff like this, and I'm on web-tv, not a computer, so this may be my problem also, and not a problem with the forum?

Any advice/help would be deeply appreciated. It wouldn't surprise me if I'm doing something wrong! lol

Thank you, and Happy New Year to you, and all of the fine members here! Mark D'Ambrosio

Posted on 18 years ago

No worries at all. Web-t.v.? wow, I had not realized they were still offering that service. It was going to be the wave of the future!

Yes, Web-t.v. has some short falls when web surfing for some web sites. I'm not familiar with the system in regards to how it works. Is there a way to take it off the camera first and storing it on the web-t.v. system?

If so then that is the best way, uploading directly from the camera to the forum upload system might be the problem.

You can also try and email it to me and see if that works. I just went ahead and increased all of the file sizes to 50K so try one more time and see if that works.

More then likely the camera is saving as a .jpg but it might be using another file extension. I increased .gif, .png, .jpe, .jpeg, .bmp to 50k

Let me know

Can't wait to see the drums. Will that be for the new gallery section??

Thanks

David

Posted on 18 years ago

The other drum forums I post to allow jpgs in the size of 256K or 600 to 650 pixels as the longest dimesion of image. That allows a reasonably detailed photo. 50K seems to be a large thumbnail size (?)

Posted on 18 years ago

Yes, here is what I did. 50k is a large image in regards to the web. In my commercial site I try and keep them under 20k and thumbnails under 6k. Fortunately this forum does it automatically so a 50k original file drops down to 20K thumbnail resized by the server (I have it at the highest setting) I have the width set to 800 pixels (maximum) for the large file which will fill the screen when people are viewing 800 x 600.

I just installed this image gallery and will be playing with the thumbnail size and k size. Currently it is automatically making the thumbnail 150 pixels Height or Width depending on the size the photo is attached.

I do understand that many people do not work with graphics programs like we do so they do not know how to alter K size and or change image dimensions. If anyone is in the situation then I suggest they send me the picture and I can fix it in about 2 secs and send it back.

This is the only way I can keep the server from not overloading. The other thing is the forum is part of the larger web site which is already eating bandwith like crazy.

We are currently hitting about 1M hits per month with 15 - 20 thousand unique visitors. It is a very popular site and is constantly being utilized as a resource.

My server Admin recently decided to upgrade to a new server and this will fix up the server load problem. It is a process to migrate a site like this and the 7 other sites I have on the server.

In time we will be on a brand new system and all of the problems should go away for now. When that happens I will feel like this smiley!!

flowers2

Thanks to everyone for being a member and I look forward to many changes and upgrades to the forum and web site. I'm always striving to make it the best!

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago

Sounds like you're all over it!!

Good job on all you're doing! Thanks from all of us!!!!

Posted on 18 years ago

I went ahead and tweeked it again and now the thumbnail drops to around 6k automatically so that will really help with bandwith on the Vintage Drum Gallery.

I hope more poeple post pictures of sets and snares.

In answer to an earlier question about "Server too busy to use right now"

I did a little research and found that when I'm logged in as the Admin the message will not appear for me. I did see it once one I had logged out, but did not think anything of it.

Last night I logged out again and eventually got the message. These little things bug me so after the research on the VBulletin forum there is a setting on the Admin that controls when this message pops up. For shared servers (multiple web sites on one server) it checks the total server load and not just what this web site is doing. This trigger creates the message so the server does not overload.

I then contacted my Server Admnin Chris and he said the server is no where near that level so I just turned it off in the Admin section.

Please let me know if you get the error anymore.

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Hello,

I tried responding on your recent post about website updates, as I find Captions in the gallery section hard to read being Blue lettering on a black background. Any other color would be preferable.

I haven't viewed this site with a computer recently, so I have no idea how this looks to others.

I also tried responding to your post about the gallery updates, and I could not find anywhere to click on to reply to your post? (So I had to post my thoughts here instead) Mark

Posted on 18 years ago

No problem, I have been experimenting with colors to try and spice up the look and improve the graphics from the standard VB.

That particular section of the forum about web site updates is just so I can inform people about what is happening with the main web site and forum, so it is closed for posts and only I can add a post in that section.

In regards to the black, the color around the image is dark blue and black behind that, I can see what I can do about color in regards to the text.

Thanks and keep the feedback coming

I also noticed the forum has been rather slow today and I also will check into that.

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here