Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Is this snare original or has it been modified?

This Ludwig snare has been a "head scratcher" for me. It appears to be about a 1976 5" X14" concert snare. It is in VG/EXT condition. The serial number is 1,252,041. It has a blue/olive badge. Here is where it gets interesting. The entire snare assembly appears to be from a marching snare drum from the 1960's or earlier. It is marked with a WFL on the snare take off. The shell appears to be aluminum with a blue metallic exterior fininsh. Is this drum from the factory like this, or did someone modify it? Either way, I am selling this for a friend. How do I price a piece like this? If you need more info., let me know. I had an additional pic of the snare let off, but the file size was too big to download. If you need to see it, Let me know.

Thanks

Southpoly

Attached Thumbnails

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by SouthPoly : Today at 04:51 AM.

Posted on 17 years ago

Looks like somebody replaced both the butt and the strainer of this Acrolite model drum with 60's parts . The gut wires aren't original to the drum either . Apparently the previous owner was after a drier sound and experimented with gut . As for the blue finish , you guessed it - it didn't come from the factory like this . Original 70's Acrolites in nice condition sell for around $ 100 on Ebay , which means the drum in question isn't worth much .

1963 Gretsch Progressive Jazz Champagne Sparkle
1967 Ludwig Super Classic Oyster Blue Pearl
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Burgundy Spkl. bop
etc...
Posted on 17 years ago

Jazzbo,

Thanks for your post and information. It is good to know I was on the right trail of fact finding. I found this particular modification to the drum to be perplexing. I appreciate you clearing it up.

Southpoly

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here