Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

Is this Radio King Authentic?

I purchased a drum off Ebay and was hoping someone can help confirm if the shell is original. I think it is an early 90's solid shell 14x5 that appears to have been refinished in satin. The badge was attached with a screw on type vent that did not look right but I am finding out that this size brass grommet is hard to find.

The white drum used to compare is an authentic early 90's 14x6.5 slolid maple shell purchased years ago from a reputable dealer. There seems to be some difference in quality. The white drum has a thicker 1/2 inch shell, a shallower snare bed, more consistent if not perfect behring edges, re-rings identical on top and bottom and a smoother finished inside. This authentic white drum does NOT say Radio King anywhere on the drum or hoops.

The drum I got off Ebay came with triple flanged hoops (fully disclosed before I purchased). I was able to track down some COB rimsavers to put on the drum and to my suprise changed the sound dramiticaly for the better. The drum sounds very good even though the edges are not perfectly flat but pretty close. Just wondering if anyone has some insight on this era.

Posted on 14 years ago

You know, that looks too close to the one of which you are certain is original. The quality differences are not that visible from these pix, and to go to that much trouble to reproduce a solid drum is just too much work. The natural finish drum may be newer, looking at the ser# and the quality could have been suffering by then. When did they close Ridgeland, and could you track down the date via ser# to find out if it was near the end? Sometimes when a man knows he is about to lose his job, the amount of care goes out with the last production run before they found out they were about to lose everything. Know what I mean?:2Cents:

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here