Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Is This Ludwig "Classic" Truly Vintage?

I just bought a 1967 6.5x14 Ludwig snare drum drum with the small keystone badge. It has a baseball-bat style snare throw-off that has "Ludwig Classic" molded into the metal at the base of the strainer. The seller said it is new old stock from 1967, but I'm wondering if that's true.

I know that Ludwig currently has a series of drums called Classic, but were they using that term in the 60s? Could this strainer be a newer "retro-look" thing or is it the real deal?

Thanks!

Steve

Posted on 19 years ago

Yes the term "Classic" has been around for a long time at Ludwig. Also, there was a strainer called the Classic -kind of a large apparatus which is no longer made.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 19 years ago

It sounds like the real deal to me. In regards to it being NOS, that should indicate in excellent to mint condition and it should look new. Send me a picture and I will post it in the listing.

Also, how many lugs? What is the finish? What is the butt side?

All of these things bring us closer to what the drum really is.

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks, guys. Since I posted I saw another 60s Ludwig snare on eBay that had the same strainer, with Ludwig "Classic" molded into it. So I'm 99% sure that mine's legit. It's an 8-lug (16 total) 1967 snare that's in mint condition.

Anyway, thanks for your replies. I confident now that I have the real deal.

Steve

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here