Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Is this a Tama?

This badgeless 6,5 x 14 snare drum with a parallel mechanism is sold locally as "Remo"... we all know where that comes from.

But what is it? All I've seen is this pic.

Cheers

Simo

1 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

Yes and no..Looks like your snare is a pre-Tama snare made by Star witch turn into Tama in the 70's...Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

One touch tone control muffler: yes, looks like Star.

Lugs: no (but did Tama use these lugs at early snare drums? I don't think so).

Snare strainer: hardly to recognize from the pic. But definitely not the one from Star, which looks different. A close-up pic from the side would help.

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 12 years ago

From Ralf

One touch tone control muffler: yes, looks like Star.Lugs: no (but did Tama use these lugs at early snare drums? I don't think so).Snare strainer: hardly to recognize from the pic. But definitely not the one from Star, which looks different. A close-up pic from the side would help.Ralf

Yes Ralf, After looking at the catalogs i have.Looking at the photo the muffler one touch piece Star would have lines on the back piece this one does not..I can't tell by the photo on the strainer a better photo would help..Could this drum be a copy made in the 80's ? M.I.T.?? Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

Someone down at DFO suggested a CB 700, but it isn't even close.

I have 2 seventies Tama's with that tone control, but nothing else matches...

It's pretty cheap, and parallel strainer snares don't tend to be junk so I'm interested...

Cheers

Simo

Posted on 12 years ago

Mikey777: Please tell me: How can you state that this muffler's knob doesn't have the small grooves/ lines on it's backside :confused:

But you're right: if the knob is there as blank as on it's top, it's definitely NOT the genuine Star/ Tama 'One touch tone control knob'.

Something makes me think this is a NewSound model ...

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 12 years ago

I think it is an ASAMA - look at this:

http://www.gratisimage.dk/share.php?id=8DB5_4DCDA838

I THINK it is the same damper, and the parallelstrainer is also a close copy of Tama, but not identical.

Is ASAMA a Hoshino-brand?

Regards

Jon

Posted on 12 years ago

Well, I can't say what it is either... so I guess the question is, what's the price? If it's reasonable, it may well be worth a "gamble!"

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

either a knockoff SuperSensitive or a knockoff shell with a SuperSensitive setup attached

like Bill above says, might be worth a look if its not too expensive

SS mechanism, for reference:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48406

Posted on 12 years ago

These bootleg super-sensitive snares are interesting.I own a Percussion-Plus version,which is a Tama copy.6 1/2X14 ten lug,with the quick releases for ease of head changing(?).The drum came with a set I purchased for resale,and it had a batter head on the bottom,making it sound BAD.2 new heads and a thorough going-thru produced a quite acceptable drum-not super boxy like many S-S drums.The Gretch Blackhawk version was very common in the 80's,with Rogers "chubby"lugs.They were also Tama copies,not like this thread's drum with the Ludwig style "tip"mechanism.

I like the drum-It's on my Tama Superstar practice set now.I guess the only sticking point on these is the mechanisms sticking out so far,you may need to turn the drum to play it on a set.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here