Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Is this a real Radio King snare?

Hi. I've been getting back into drumming. I spent some hours cleaning my basement, and I found the old snare I used to play back in junior high and high school.

It's a Slingerland black diamond pearl bearing a brass and black oval badge that says (among other things) "Niles, Illinois U.S.A." in smaller letters -- no serial number. I believe this badge was used from April 1961 to September 1962 (according to Internet source with pictures).

The shell is natural wood which, by color, I would judge to be maple.

I cannot see any plies. The shell seems to be one solid piece, and there are reinforcing rings of the exact same color. Looking at Internet pictures, I believe this shell was used from 1955-1964.

The drum has a 3-point strainer which, according to Internet pictures, was used in 1962 and 1963 on Radio King snares.

From this I conclude that the snare was manufactured in 1962 -- this badge and this 3-point strainer make 1962 the only possibility. I entered high school in 1963, and I know I owned the drums before that, so 1962 fits with my personal knowledge of when I got the drums.

I always loved this snare. It had a great sound. Now, whether it's just that it was my first snare, or whether the snare is one of the great-sounding Radio Kings -- I'm not sure.

I would like to know:

1) Is this a Radio King snare?

2) How good is it considered to be? As good as the older Radio Kings?

3) I need to replace the snares. Where might I be able to find original

replacements?

I can't believe I've had this thing just lying around in the basement. I want to take care of her and get her back in the game.

Posted on 14 years ago

WE NEED PICS! Sounds like you've got a good drum there!

PureSound Percussion will have the snare wires you need.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks. My wife does all the digital camera work, so I'll ask her to get on it.

Once I have digital pictures, how do I upload them to this site? Thanks again.

Posted on 14 years ago

there are 2 ways when typing a post -

you can either insert an image in your post by clicking on the little yellow picture of the mountain in the second line of the of the tools in above the massage box (the image will appear as part of your post)

or you can attach a images by clicking the little paperclip in the first row to attach images to your post (this will attach the images and display them below your post in the thread)

hope that helps!

Justin

hit hard
Posted on 14 years ago

Justin,

Thanks a hunk. I mean a bunch. A hunk?

This should be interesting. When I interface with modern electronics, strange things happen. I'll give it a go soon. Thanks again!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here